Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reactions for Hardening metal items  (Read 658 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Reactions for Hardening metal items
« on: December 08, 2008, 02:14:01 pm »

It occurred to me that we need reactions that reflect the processes used to harden metal items, bronze and copper are hardened by repeatedly light hammering (work-hardening), steel is hardened by a process of heating and rapid cooling (tempering).

It might be necessary to create new metals to reflect these altered states "Hardened Bronze" and "Hardened Steel" and to make these new metal impossible to create directly, rather an object would be created and then the hardening reaction would change its material data to the hard type and a commensurate increase in value and combat effectiveness results.

But current reactions can't do this because the 'Reagents' of the reaction are destroyed completely and the 'Product' is completely new, a sword would loose the quality level it had when made along with any decorations.  Some new reaction system that is capable of altering the data of an item without actually deleting it is needed.  If such reactions became possible I'm sure additional uses would also be found.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reactions for Hardening metal items
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 09:20:09 am »

Some new reaction system that is capable of altering the data of an item without actually deleting it is needed.  If such reactions became possible I'm sure additional uses would also be found.
That would indeed be useful.

Not for tempering and hammering though, I think these are implied in the weaponsmithing process etc. It could be made possible for a sufficiently skilled smith to improve low-quality weapons a bit.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 02:49:04 pm »

Why would this be necessary? What's wrong with items morphing into new ones as far as game mechanics go?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 03:02:17 pm »

Why would this be necessary? What's wrong with items morphing into new ones as far as game mechanics go?

I think the point is that you can properly account for the slightly different material properties of a bronze sword vs. a bronze statue.  I don't think it warrants a two-stage process with an extra reaction, though.  Perhaps each metal could have its own normal material properties (basic hardness) plus bonuses for a weaponized state, so you'd have something like:

[MATGLOSS_METAL:IRON]
[PROPERTY:HARDNESS:155]
[MODIFIER:WEAPON:HARDNESS:110] <= this is a percentage of the original hardness, WEAPON is an item token