Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Improved melting; finer-grained metal usage.  (Read 1384 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improved melting; finer-grained metal usage.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 06:09:36 pm »

Electricity is out. Seriously, guys, come on. Electrolytic reduction of metals is NOT mid-upper middle ages technology or anything remotely close to it.

As far as metals are concerned, I'd like to see ORES give a variable amount, or at least make some sense. Right now it takes less native aluminum ("ore") than aluminum to build a chair, yet it's worth the exact same amount. Either the native aluminum should be worth less (perhaps it's more simply a chunk of rock WITH aluminum content?) or items should be able to be built out of the amount of material obtained from a single native aluminum rock instead of, say, 1-3.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 09:18:44 pm »

Mythril with respect to Lord of the Rings is quite litterally supposed to be "The Perfect metal" that basically encompasses the greatest qualities of all the metals (In the sense of combat...)

Easy to mold, Light to hold, Strong to bare, as beautiful as silver, and will never tarnish like Gold.

The Movie even gives it a greater abilities then the books where it allows a chainshirt (Not even REAL Mail as we know it) to block a full on blunt attack... something even a indestructable chainshirt would not be able to do. So I guess Mythril includes atomic shock absorbers.

Personally some aspects of Tolkien I am suprised is really popular...

Gilbo: "Ouch... I stumbled upon this staff that will solve all my problemns"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 09:31:16 pm »

Gilbo GILBO Gilbo Gabbins, greatest little typo of them all.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 09:42:11 pm »

I seem to recall there were some processes that could use more direct chemistry instead of mass scale electrochemistry currently used but that they were very uneconomic. Not to mention historically there've been occurance of accidental discoveries which wasn't very understood at the time, such as occasional alloying and chemistry discoveries. I wouldn't be surprised if dwarves figured out how to refine an extremely valuable substance and figured out how to turn it into more useful instruments. I mean come on, players already does megaprojects like flooding maps with water, magma, building towers higher than anything that would be possible at the period and so on! I wouldn't be surprised if dwarves figured out how to make rockets, artillery, steam engine and clockworks with all their booze power, metal knowledge and mechanical skills.   ;D

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 12:12:55 am »

If you want some common applications for anodized aluminum we are all around a lot - heatsinks found in computers are made from them.  You'll often see it on the smaller / cheaper sinks such as the individual ramsinks for graphics cards, the flat heatspreaders wrapped around most RAM modules nowadays, southbridge and northbridge sinks, and so on.  They are often either an electric blue or a goldish imitation copper color.  It certainly doesn't scratch as easily as plain aluminum but I've never tried to snap one in half either...  I know the can opener I made in shop class from a 1/8" thick sheet of regular aluminum lasted for about two 6 packs of beer before the prongs wore off to useless nubs. 8)  I'd say it's a little too high tech for our dwarves but if someone wants the ability for a mod go ahead.
Pages: 1 [2]