Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfwiki needs updating/modding tutorial  (Read 1179 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfwiki needs updating/modding tutorial
« on: December 15, 2008, 07:44:00 pm »

I think the Modding Guide on the DF Wiki needs updating, I tried to go along with it, but it makes no sense at some parts, compared to my latest-update DF folder.

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Modding_Guide

Which brings me to my next point, where can I get ahold of a Modding Guide to creating Creatures? I got some basic knowledge of how things work from the Dwarf Wiki's guide on it, but I'm still rather lost... :)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfwiki needs updating/modding tutorial
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:18:02 pm »

Well, I can't update it at the moment, but I can at least help a bit by asking you what sort of creature you want to make.

So, what sort of creature do you want to make?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 08:31:28 pm »

If you think that needs modding look at the farming section. It's all about irrigation, something that now isn't generally necessary, and doesn't even have a complete list of surface plants.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 09:28:16 pm »

Just sayin.... Modding DF is WAYYYY easier than modding CC. or RTW. or (Pulls out list of games)
Il be happy to help out tho.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:31:04 pm »

Just sayin.... Modding DF is WAYYYY easier than modding CC. or RTW. or (Pulls out list of games)
Or War Craft III.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 11:43:51 am »

Well, I can't update it at the moment, but I can at least help a bit by asking you what sort of creature you want to make.

So, what sort of creature do you want to make?

Oh, uh, I didn't expect it to become a one-on-one, personally detailed, walkrhough... well, I didn't expect any positive responses from anyone on this.

"WRUNG TOPIC!!"22 "FCKVINNG NOOBB!!" moreso.

As for the type of creature, no idea. I just wanted to get a handle on a how-to so that I can summon up some creatures from my imagination. All I'd need is an example and definition.

creature Santa_Claus

BODY:CREATURE1

HEAD:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:

...Yeah, I know very little about what I just did, but I know that that's the basic structure... Right?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 05:20:31 pm »

OK, say you want to make a Santa Clause creature; it would have the same body as a human, except that it might have this stuff, which you can just put in the body_default.txt.  Body modding is fairly complex, so you should wait for that until you get the hang of creature, entity, item, and matgloss modding.

Code: [Select]
[BODY:COAT_RED]
[BP:RCOAT:big red coat][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY]

[BODY:HAT_JOLLY]
[BP:JHAT:jolly red hat][CONTYPE:HEAD]

[BODYGLOSS:BOOT:foot:boot]

[BODYGLOSS:MITTEN:hand:mitten]
Would replace the old creature entry body data as thus:

[BODY:HUMANOID:COAT_RED:HAT_JOLLY:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH]
[BODYGLOSS:BOOT]
[BODYGLOSS:MITTEN]

The creature entry would be titled [CREATURE:SANTA_CLAUSE].  You can just copy humans and change the [CREATURE] tag.  It is important that it is in all caps.  In creature entries, only names (in this case [NAME:Santa Clause:there's only one Santa:clausish] being the name, plural form, and adjective form) and the [PREFSTRING:x] tags can be in lower case or have spaces.  Change the entry in the [PREFSTING] tag to "jolly gut."  This will make it so that you will occasionally see "Urist McChild likes there's only one Santa for their jolly gut.

You can change [FAT:3] to [FAT:7] which will make him give more fat when butchered and make him more resistant to cold.  This can also be done by increasing the number on the [LAYERING:X] tag.

The [TILE:'U'] can be changed to [TILE:'S'].  Changing [COLOR:3:0:0] to [COLOR:4:0:1] will make his tile bright red instead of cyan.  Color combinations can be found on the wiki by searching "color."  If you use a letter for a tile instead of a four digit tile code listed on the wiki, you need to put an apostrophe on either side.  I made an "invisible" race once because I didn't know that, and it was hard to play with them. 

Change [BENIGN] to [GOOD]; this will make it show up only in good areas.  If you don't like Santa, you can make it [EVIL] instead, which functions similarly to [GOOD], only that it makes him show up in evil areas.

Since it isn't a creature that we are sure exists in the real world, remove the [MUNDANE] tag, unless of course you really believe in Santa.  To make him only move around at night, change [DIURNAL] to [NOCTURNAL].  If you feel that the 60 to 120 years is too short or long a life for a Santa, change the numbers of the [MAXAGE:X:Y] to the range you want the game to use when randomly generating his lifespan.  For example, to make it so that he lives between 1000 and 1500 years, enter [MAXAGE:1000:1500]

If you don't want him picking up and using items and weapons, remove the [EQUIPS] tag.

Of course, for him to actually show up, you need to add a biome tag, such as [BIOME:GLACIER], or you can add [MEGABEAST] or [SEMIMEGABEAST], which will make it so that he will attack your fort and you will occasionly find quests to kill him in adventure mode.

For your creature entry, you should get something like this:

[CREATURE:SANTA_CLAUSE]
[NAME:Santa Clause:there's only one Santa:clausish]
[TILE:'S'][COLOR:3:0:0]
[GENPOWER:3]
[INTELLIGENT]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[BENIGN]
[PREFSTRING:jolly gut]
[BODY:HUMANOID:COAT_RED:HAT_JOLLY:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH]
[SIZE:7]
[MAXAGE:1000:1500]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:1:2:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:1:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[CHILD:12][BABY:1][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[FAT:7]
[EQUIPS]
[NOCTURNAL]
[BIOME:GLACIER]
[SPEECH_MALE:human_male.txt]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[LAYERING:70]
[SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[MUNDANE]

That's all folks! (for now; you should have a basic understanding of creature modding at this point, but there is more advanced stuff that can be done)

Oh, and Happy Holidays!  ;D
Just so I remember

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:37:06 am »

Urist McAdventurer: Do you have any quests?
King: Yes I have a quest for you. You must go to toyworkshops the glacier fortress and kill the Santa that lives there.
Urist McAdventurer: Okay!

And that, children, is why we no longer celebrate Christmas every year.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 12:40:15 am »

Or War Craft III.

Well, are we talking modding or custom map making? The latter is manageable enough, but can get to the difficulty of DF modding once you start scripting complex events or calibrating attack-specific animation via external triggers.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 05:19:42 pm »

Or War Craft III.

Well, are we talking modding or custom map making? The latter is manageable enough, but can get to the difficulty of DF modding once you start scripting complex events or calibrating attack-specific animation via external triggers.
The prior.  I've made some complex stuff, but animations are not my fort.
Just so I remember

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 09:50:09 am »

OK, say you want to make a Santa Clause creature; it would have the same body as a human, except that it might have this stuff, which you can just put in the body_default.txt.  Body modding is fairly complex, so you should wait for that until you get the hang of creature, entity, item, and matgloss modding.

[BODY:COAT_RED]
[BP:RCOAT:big red coat][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY]

[BODY:HAT_JOLLY]
[BP:JHAT:jolly red hat][CONTYPE:HEAD]

[BODYGLOSS:BOOT:foot:boot]

[BODYGLOSS:MITTEN:hand:mitten]
Would replace the old creature entry body data as thus:

The creature entry would be titled [CREATURE:SANTA_CLAUSE].  You can just copy humans and change the [CREATURE] tag.  It is important that it is in all caps.  In creature entries, only names (in this case [NAME:Santa Clause:there's only one Santa:clausish] being the name, plural form, and adjective form) and the [PREFSTRING:x] tags can be in lower case or have spaces.  Change the entry in the [PREFSTING] tag to "jolly gut."  This will make it so that you will occasionally see "Urist McChild likes there's only one Santa for their jolly gut.

You can change [FAT:3] to [FAT:7] which will make him give more fat when butchered and make him more resistant to cold.  This can also be done by increasing the number on the [LAYERING:X] tag.

The [TILE:'U'] can be changed to [TILE:'S'].  Changing [COLOR:3:0:0] to [COLOR:4:0:1] will make his tile bright red instead of cyan.  Color combinations can be found on the wiki by searching "color."  If you use a letter for a tile instead of a four digit tile code listed on the wiki, you need to put an apostrophe on either side.  I made an "invisible" race once because I didn't know that, and it was hard to play with them. 

Change [BENIGN] to [GOOD]; this will make it show up only in good areas.  If you don't like Santa, you can make it [EVIL] instead, which functions similarly to [GOOD], only that it makes him show up in evil areas.

Since it isn't a creature that we are sure exists in the real world, remove the [MUNDANE] tag, unless of course you really believe in Santa.  To make him only move around at night, change [DIURNAL] to [NOCTURNAL].  If you feel that the 60 to 120 years is too short or long a life for a Santa, change the numbers of the [MAXAGE:X:Y] to the range you want the game to use when randomly generating his lifespan.  For example, to make it so that he lives between 1000 and 1500 years, enter [MAXAGE:1000:1500]

If you don't want him picking up and using items and weapons, remove the [EQUIPS] tag.

Of course, for him to actually show up, you need to add a biome tag, such as [BIOME:GLACIER], or you can add [MEGABEAST] or [SEMIMEGABEAST], which will make it so that he will attack your fort and you will occasionly find quests to kill him in adventure mode.

For your creature entry, you should get something like this:

[CREATURE:SANTA_CLAUSE]
[NAME:Santa Clause:there's only one Santa:clausish]
[TILE:'S'][COLOR:3:0:0]
[GENPOWER:3]
[INTELLIGENT]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[BENIGN]
[PREFSTRING:jolly gut]
[SIZE:7]
[MAXAGE:1000:1500]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:1:2:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:1:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[CHILD:12][BABY:1][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[FAT:7]
[EQUIPS]
[NOCTURNAL]
[BIOME:GLACIER]
[SPEECH_MALE:human_male.txt]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[LAYERING:70]
[SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[MUNDANE]

That's all folks! (for now; you should have a basic understanding of creature modding at this point, but there is more advanced stuff that can be done)

Oh, and Happy Holidays!  ;D

I think I can get grasps with this.

One question though, How does the System work out that his lungs and whatnot are inside him? Or, is the tag itself recognised for this?

Forté* :]
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 05:29:27 pm »

The lung has it's own entry in body_default.txt.  It has the [INTERNAL] tag.  The lung entry works as a token in the creature entry, telling it to look for the listed body tokens in the body_default.txt when generating the creature in game.
Just so I remember

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 10:37:40 pm »

If santa clause lived with my elves it'd be a bearded man in a red coat, drowing in a sea of well-endowed women (errr, i didnt make those elves per-say i just modified them a tad bit)

Also, i made santa his own little way of injecting you with christmas cheer.
;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:49:56 pm by PoonHat »
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog