Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caging crocs (and friends)  (Read 399 times)

Agent Fransis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caging crocs (and friends)
« on: December 11, 2008, 03:51:17 pm »

Hi forum.

Say I have found an underground river with an awesome concentration of crocodiles, giant olms and giant toads. Say that I have connected a trap filled channel with a decent funnel area to the river, but no one was interested save for cave fish and olms. Say I have dug another tunnel into the river, this time right next to the bundle of beasties (that won't budge from the river source) and above the river, put some cage traps next to the river edge and a tied puppy at the end of them.
But alas, mostly not interested. Over time only two snakemen were cought, and a single croc. I've tried stationing troops at various points, but all that was accomplished was them drowning after they stood on the edge and had snakemen pull them in (not before wrestling to death a few of the buggers. I trained them well). They weren't even interested in the civilians sculling about attending the traps.

What can be done? How can I get them to move from their position? Should I try tying up different creatures? Maybe a broad cut into the river would help? Maybe modding their raws somehow? (though the wiki says they should be highly aggressive and territorial as it is)

tl;dr: I have a bunch of crocs, giant toads and giant olms in an underground river and I failed in capturing them. Please help.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caging crocs (and friends)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 04:06:12 pm »

I captured a bunch of cave crocodiles by digging directly into the side of the river.  Build a door or two, or floodgates or a bridge or something next to the wall to the river, and rig it up to some levers far away to you can stop it at a distance.  Then in the area on the dry side I built a hole a couple of floors deep, with a grating over the top of it, wide enough to cover all the squares around the entrance, and at the bottom of the pit, a pump tower to the surface to get rid of the water.

So once I broke down the wall, the crocodiles came flooding in with the river, the river went down into the grates, into the pit, and the crocodiles came across into the corridor of traps. (or at least once I got it working right, and pumped out the areas that got flooded because I forgot to seal off the final square of the bottom wall in my pit).  Some bait sitting at the far end of the corridor can work well to help too.

Agent Fransis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caging crocs (and friends)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 04:25:56 pm »

Your idea sounds good. It combines and expands on my two methods. Also I would have no drainage problem as the river runs across two levels. Or I could chasm the water.

How big was your breach to have swept the crocs in? I wasn't able to with a one tile breach.