Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Instantly suffocating creatures  (Read 1065 times)

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Instantly suffocating creatures
« on: December 07, 2008, 10:02:31 pm »

I've been having a bit of trouble to get some of my creatures to work in-game, it's not too irritating with most of them, but this one is a has the MEGABEAST tag, and it leads to some rather anti-climactic battles when it shows up on a map, falls over, then instantly suffocates. It has two lungs, a throat, and a mouth, so I can't understand why it keeps doing this. Is there any way of making this thing not suffocate without giving it [NOBREATHE]? Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Instantly suffocating creatures
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 10:10:35 pm »

Quick look at body_default.txt shows for lungs

maybe it's the CONTYPE, rather than CON?

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 10:15:39 pm »

So does CONTYPE not work in instances like this? I thought that it just added lungs to all of the body parts labeled UB? Does this mean that wherever I used CONTYPE for my many other creatures instead of CON, they haven't been getting those parts? Uh oh, this could be bad.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 10:27:11 pm »

OK, so if I use CON instead of CONTYPE for lungs, they will die?

the creature that uses this seems to suffocate a lot, however, I have another creature with this:

and it's just fine, even with only one lung. Would it help if I posted the creature file?

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 10:39:01 pm »

Actually, I just checked http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Body_tokens . You're sure it didn't had damage to lungs when it came in map? I've seen some diplomats and megabeasts with some worldgen damage come in, and heard of a few megabeasts actually kneeling over suddenly when they shows up onmaps in vanilla game  ;D

ed: also I skimmed through the creature raws of vanilla, so I might be wrong about CON and CONTYPE context.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 10:46:26 pm by TettyNullus »

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 10:46:24 pm »

I didn't get a chance to check it for wounds because it was in adventure mode when (I was checking for glitches) that it keeled over in, but I suppose that could be it....but it's also happened to three driders who also had throats, lungs, and mouths in their body file in exactly the same way, so I'm not really sure.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 11:29:45 pm »

Copy and modify the stuff from another megabeast? They may have a slightly different body configuration than other creatures.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 11:38:37 pm »

Nope, I didn't copy from other megabeasts, I made a body from scratch because I figured that some of the creatures I was thinking of making would be too complicated using the default body sets, here's the creature files for the two creatures that refuse to breathe:

and here's the drider's body:

can anyone spot the problem that seems to be killing off these creatures? I very much appreciate the input.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 12:01:49 am »

Well I ment as a solution copy and modify another megabeast.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 12:21:42 am »

Oh, I'll try that next. If it helps, here's what happened when I gave them a civilization and started adventure mode:

all the mindflayers on site, and some random tarasque that had been wandering through, collapsed and fell over, including the character I started out as. I could still move around though, but only by crawling, and no wounds showed up when I checked on the appropriate screen.

I removed [GRASP] from their face tentacles, so at least now they won't be carrying around a half dozen shields, even if they do suffocate a few moments later.

I just tried using them in fortress mode, same thing happened, all of them seem to have serious injuries, but no injuries show up on their wounds screen.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:56:45 am by catoblepas »

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 01:12:15 am »

I've compared the creatures to the non-suffocating ones, but I still can't find what is causing them to die. I also tried giving them [NOBREATHE] but they still collapse to the ground with serious wounds, even though they are uninjured.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 01:20:11 am »

This's just a distant guess, but hopefully you're doing this on a fresh install? I did saw in few threads there were some conflicts when the installation's already ran before. Otherwise, I don't see it either  ???

ed: or alternatively clearing out the Dwarf_Fortress/data/objects

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 01:23:08 am »

I think the problem is the order of the body tags. This is probably because the game adds the body parts in the order that they are listed, so if you try to add a part that connects to the upper body without having an upper body first, you end up with all sorts of weird bugs. For future reference, always try to structure your body tags in this order:
1. Upper body
2. Lower body
3. Head
4. Limbs/wings/other appendages
5. feet/hands
6. neck/shoulders/elbows/other joints and connectors
7. organs/nose/mouth/eyes
8. other stuff
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 01:39:25 am »

It worked! I changed the order of the body parts, and now they function perfectly. Now I just have to repeat this process for all of my other modded in creatures. Oh joy. Thanks for the help, everyone!

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 02:29:25 am »

Well, I used what i2amroy said, and it's worked for everything except one creature, my tarasque megabeast. I tried re-arranging the bodyparts, but the still spawns winded and then dies. This is my biggest creature, so it's highly possible I might be missing something here. does anyone spot anything out of place?