Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a custom Tileset  (Read 549 times)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making a custom Tileset
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:18:34 am »

So here I am, being pestered by people at school for not playing a real game, (hint, ascii) so I'm going to make myself a tileset. Im not sure where to start, though. I'm guessing opening up curses_640x300 and screwing around? Or is there something else I should be doing?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Making a custom Tileset
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:32:04 am »

I would advise making a backup so you don't have to re-download DF. Heck, when messing with DF it is good to keep a zipped version so you can unzip a new copy when you screw something up.

Now from I understand, the colors in DF are overlaid onto the tileset tiles. Thus making Grey pixels will result in darker colors on those pixels ingame. I think you can use other colors, but know they would either cause problems or look ugly when mixed with whatever palette you have.

Now if you are making a graphical set, it would be best to consult the Wiki for help. It should tell you what to do. What would be best is to download an existing graphics tile set in whatever dimensions you want and modify them. Thus you can make sure there are no alignment issues.

Be sure to credit the author if you leave anything the same.

So yes, look at what the Wiki resources and look at existing sets to see what you can do.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a custom Tileset
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 01:58:34 am »

Thanks alot for that.