Completely.
- 5 (35.7%)
Somewhat.
- 0 (0%)
Maybe.
- 0 (0%)
Not Really.
- 0 (0%)
All this "Carped" stuff is an unpatriotic elven conspiracy.
- 9 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Boatbusted Restart: How Carped Are We?  (Read 4801 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Boatbusted Restart: How Carped Are We?
« on: July 15, 2012, 09:32:51 pm »

We're back! Apparently, the initial run of Boatbusted broke because we were on a too-huge region size for most people's computers to load. I'm starting this one over, with a slightly altered mod file to before.

The Boatbusted Mod Version History (currently version 1.2):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We're using Civilisation Forge with additions of Spearbreakers material, Mr Frog's Maej, and the Vilius mod. I'm allowing dwarves to make firearms in this game now, using the same reactions as the Niveans. This is probably going to be less useful than people think. The mod has been altered so as to put a hard cap on the number of civilisations of a certain creature that can show up. I've haxed the worldgen heavily to generate more volcanoes and more civilisations, whilst leaving more neutral mountain biomes for dwarves to set themselves up in.

Once again, a recap of the rules:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Turn List

Turn completed
In progress
Not yet started

X marks extension used.

1. Captain Archmage (As Lord Mana)
2. Coral
3. Lightningfalcon
4. Slowpokez
5. Godlysockpuppet
6. Valrandir
7. Australianwinter
8. Betelgeuse

Extensions Available: 4
Emergency Extensions Available: 3

As noted in the previous Boatbusted thread, the turn order will be carried over. In addition, I may play around 1 year before sending it on, which will be the one exception to the 48-hour rule.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:40:07 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boatbusted Restart: How Carped Are We?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 09:33:32 pm »

Reserved.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:33:54 pm »

Reserved again.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:34:26 pm »

That's enough reserved posts for now. You can go ahead and post now (not that anything was stopping you before)!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:36:51 pm »

Hopefully I will be able to get the files onto my computer this time.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:43:39 pm »

A few things. Firstly, this world is a lot more civilised than any I've seen before. Apparently when you shift the bulk of the aligned-region tiles to medium regions, you get a lot more space for dwarves in the world. I've also got most or all civilisations present on the map. The only problem is the quantity of northern sergals present, and that's really only an issue because of the omission I made.

I upped the civilisation number to something obscene to make sure. I also upped the volcano number to something obscene, so there isn't a shortage there either. For the record, there are four dwarven civilisations present in this world, and the are pretty expansive, having spread to their entire mountain range. The file is a bit big again, but this time only because the worldgen was run for longer (50 years).

Edits: Oh God, this world doesn't have any humans. Again. At least we have the Spawn of Holistic... as well as Chaos Dwarves.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:46:32 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 10:27:23 pm »

Humans are weak sauce anyways. Posting to watch.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:08:03 am »

Humans are weak sauce anyways. Posting to watch.

It means more sieges.

I may need to experiment with more worldgens before I actually start the game. The reason is mostly the quantity of a single civilisation overcrowding, but also dealing with the number of aligned tiles - I think I might up the number in small regions so we get more overall.  In the meantime, I can either make firearms harder to make, or remove them entirely for dwarves, or remove them entirely for everyone. Even if we remove firearms for dwarves, we keep them for nevreans.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 02:52:51 pm »

Posting to Watch, again.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 09:58:29 pm »

Time has been unsurprisingly scarce recently, but I fixed what I wanted to fix.

Boatbusted Mod, 1.2.1

-There's a magma version of the gun workshop now. It looks the same as the normal gun workshop.
-To make gunpowder, you need a block of saltpeter (which you can make at the Saltpeter beds in Civilisation Forge), refined coal, and a barrel; the reaction is made at the alchemists workshop and doesn't require any fuel. I dropped the use of brimstone, as that would be a serious complication.
-Bullets require gunpowder to make.
-I increased the material size of the rifle. Firearms also require fire-safe mechanisms to build.
-Most entities can now use electrum (10) and platinum currency (30) if they use copper, silver, and gold currency, and will also update currency by year. This is completely redundant in terms of the game, besides roleplaying.
-Fixed the alchemical block reactions.
-Civilisations can make any non-gunpowder ammunition even if they don't make the respective weapons. This will make those artefact blowguns actually useful.
-Added in the display case, because those artefact thongs need some showtime.

I'm going to start genning some worlds.

Well I hope I'll be able to start on world 1.

Edit: The Absolute World is in generation. With luck, this will be a good one. I'm seeing a lot of good locations for dwarves to start out, and plenty of volcanoes.

Edit2: Generation is done and saved. From what I can see we have a good world on our hands, with five dwarf civilisations. The world save is 62MB though... what the hell. Also still no humans, it seems like I forgot to change another civilisation generation tag.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:40:41 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 06:56:07 pm »

And so it begins: The new fortress of Boatbusted has been founded!

This location is much better than the previous one, too.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 05:54:56 pm »

Posting so I can follow on phone
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Outpost Boatbusted: Am I the only male dwarf around here?
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 07:50:52 pm »

As in the title. We're going from the beginning here, though we may actually repeat material from the old Boatbusted thread.

So the embark location (apologies, I wasn't very comfortable with grabbing shots before the game started) is Half Good Half Oh God What. Its reasonably sized, so everyone should be able to play it. We also have Spawn of Hollistic this time! Fun features are that there's only one male dwarf, and also there's an upright sword on the map. The map has the polar cap at north, but for some reason the region to the south is frozen and the one the dwarves have embarked on is quite warm. The civilisation is called The Angelic Rack, and the Group Name is Stardrunken the Golden Bejeweled Star-King of Liberty. The capitol of The Angelic Rack is called Foggychambers, and is located in a mountain range in a tropical part of the world.

Oh, you wanted me to !!XX+<<+ROLEPLAY+>>+XX!! it?

The Journal of Lord Mana, 20th of Granite, year 50

The Angelic Rack's Bailout Fund went bankrupt today. I strongly suspect things are going to get bad very quickly around here, and have thus devised an exit plan from the mountainhomes that have been my primary residence for the past fifty years.

My Uncle's smelter business has been hit hard by the crisis, but I swapped some sunshine and swamp whisky for the debt a few months ago, and took an out of court settlement. In short, my minor study of economics has landed me with a pile of potentially valuable ore and some smelting equipment.

Last year, I went on a prospecting mission to the west, where we discovered a large forested region with flux and interesting wildlife, which is called The Right Forest. I am going to organise an expedition there to establish a new settlement.

In the meantime, I need to find some dwarves for the expedition.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 07:53:15 pm by CaptainArchmage »