Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Development Schedule  (Read 3899 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Development Schedule
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2008, 09:02:08 am »

That proves to me that it's not so much people complaining about the minutiae as it is people complaining that: "Things I want to see aren't being worked on and the minutiae is getting in the way of that."
I'm man enough to admit that this is true for me.
All the descriptive paragraphs and hair and fur color and all that stuff... I'll never see it. I can't remember the last time I looked at the description of a dwarf, or anything else. I just don't really care about it. I also have absolutely no interest in the wounds system. The exact character of how a dwarf is wounded is unlikely to interest me. I don't care if his arm is broken or his liver is lacerated or whatever; once you get more than a couple dozen dwarfs, that becomes a level of micro-management that I will never involve myself in. The dwarf will go sleep for twelve months or die or whatever and I'll never know why, or really care. I also don't really understand how any sane people who manages more than the starting seven dwarves could possibly involve themselves and be interested in the descriptions, wound details, etc. of every dwarf. (Obviously, I only play fortress mode. I never really got into adventurer mode, which is where I think a lot of this stuff is going to really shine. Heck, maybe if it becomes developed enough, I will eventually get intrigued by that mode.) Despite what I say above, I make absolutely no value judgments about what Toady has been working on, and I'm still very interested to see it. I think it will be very gratifying to many people, and I look forward to "my turn" with respect to the stuff that I enjoy about DF.

Okay, it's understandable that not everyone cares about some of the upcoming features...to be honest I never thought that I will see a post like this on the DF forum. You never check the description of the dwarves? You don't care about the injuries of your dwarves?..as I see basically you do not even care about the dwarves themselves... I suppose you are only looking at DF from a pure strategical perspective, correct? Little details are not so important to you.
So what is what you care about exactly? What upcoming features are important to you?

blkholsun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2008, 04:07:45 pm »

That proves to me that it's not so much people complaining about the minutiae as it is people complaining that: "Things I want to see aren't being worked on and the minutiae is getting in the way of that."
I'm man enough to admit that this is true for me.
All the descriptive paragraphs and hair and fur color and all that stuff... I'll never see it. I can't remember the last time I looked at the description of a dwarf, or anything else. I just don't really care about it. I also have absolutely no interest in the wounds system. The exact character of how a dwarf is wounded is unlikely to interest me. I don't care if his arm is broken or his liver is lacerated or whatever; once you get more than a couple dozen dwarfs, that becomes a level of micro-management that I will never involve myself in. The dwarf will go sleep for twelve months or die or whatever and I'll never know why, or really care. I also don't really understand how any sane people who manages more than the starting seven dwarves could possibly involve themselves and be interested in the descriptions, wound details, etc. of every dwarf. (Obviously, I only play fortress mode. I never really got into adventurer mode, which is where I think a lot of this stuff is going to really shine. Heck, maybe if it becomes developed enough, I will eventually get intrigued by that mode.) Despite what I say above, I make absolutely no value judgments about what Toady has been working on, and I'm still very interested to see it. I think it will be very gratifying to many people, and I look forward to "my turn" with respect to the stuff that I enjoy about DF.

Okay, it's understandable that not everyone cares about some of the upcoming features...to be honest I never thought that I will see a post like this on the DF forum. You never check the description of the dwarves? You don't care about the injuries of your dwarves?..as I see basically you do not even care about the dwarves themselves... I suppose you are only looking at DF from a pure strategical perspective, correct? Little details are not so important to you.
So what is what you care about exactly? What upcoming features are important to you?
I take some mild interest in the first seven dwarves but, again, once you get dozens of dwarves there is absolutely no way I'm going to keep more than a small handful of them distinct in my mind. (On other forums I've seen DF discussed, by the way, this is a fairly standard viewpoint. Or, at least, isn't treated as blasphemy.) I know that lots of people make special rooms for all of their dwarves, concentrating on what they like and don't like, but personally I don't find that sort of micro-management very entertaining. The thing I find most enjoyable about DF is the tremendous amount of creativity it allows. I love devising death traps, new and more efficient obsidian farms, fountains, etc. I guess I'm just as confused as you are: you do check the descriptions of all your dwarves? I mean, it was kind of cool once or twice or ten times, but "kind of cool" about sums it up for me. But that's another amazing thing about DF--entirely different people can still find entirely different things to love about it.
I am looking forward to changes to the military structure. As it stands I don't find sieges to be as fun as some players do, and honestly dealing with battles just sort of irritates me. I see this changing dramatically with improved handling of the military system.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 04:09:38 pm by blkholsun »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2008, 05:28:41 pm »

Ah, I see.  :)
You know I never cared about my dwarves that much before, but I realized that I miss things like these:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27361.0
..or what about this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess we must agree, that these little features in the game are epic.  8)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2008, 05:39:59 pm »

That's... that's pretty darn incredible.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2008, 05:49:20 pm »

I don't know if it was coincidence or not but I did have an engraver who was married to the mayor and who had a vendetta against a guy - When that guy died there were a lot of engravings of him getting struck down and millions of the mayor.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2008, 06:32:23 pm »

You sounds like my brother. Look...stay on the ground of reality. Toady is basically coding the game alone. Now take a look at the devlist....
Toady isn't coding DF on the weekends, but who is working on weekends anyway? Just think about that. Besides, this is his project, so it's completely up to him, that how much time is he spending on coding the game.

Toadyt works weekends. He's been working weekends for months now.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2008, 10:10:05 am »

You sounds like my brother. Look...stay on the ground of reality. Toady is basically coding the game alone. Now take a look at the devlist....
Toady isn't coding DF on the weekends, but who is working on weekends anyway? Just think about that. Besides, this is his project, so it's completely up to him, that how much time is he spending on coding the game.

Toadyt works weekends. He's been working weekends for months now.

Yeah that is the secret project what he is working on. I guess working on that must be quite relaxing, if he is working on that...instead of doing other stuffs away from the computer.  :)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2008, 11:53:03 am »

I probably know what it is if it is relaxing. No More Stumpy-Wumples II.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2008, 04:18:44 pm »

I probably know what it is if it is relaxing. No More Stumpy-Wumples II.

Eh, I can just only hope that it will be something like LCS. Oh boy, LCS 2...I want! ;D

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2008, 04:26:59 pm »

Stumpy Wumple Crime Squad.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2008, 04:30:22 pm »

Heh. No more Liberal Stumpy-Wumples. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2008, 09:14:15 pm »

Eh, I can just only hope that it will be something like LCS. Oh boy, LCS 2...I want! ;D

The last one Toady released was LCS 3, and the secret project isn't LCS 4.

You know I never cared about my dwarves that much before, but I realized that I miss things like these:
..or what about this?

I didn't even know that kinda shit could happen. I wish it would happen to me when I play.

edit: removed jerkish comment
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:06:14 pm by Fourth Triad »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2008, 09:20:35 pm »

Wow. I've seen engravings of events that took place in my fort's history, but never anything like that.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2008, 09:48:01 pm »

The last one Toady released was LCS 3, and the secret project isn't LCS 4. Yes, I do know what it is, and I'm not telling :). But it should be way more fun than LCS 3 was.

..or what about this?

I didn't even know that kinda shit could happen. I wish it would happen to me when I play.

You have mentioned several times that you knwo what the secret project is and im not convinced you do.  How did you find out?  And what is the point of saying you know even if you do? To rub it in our noses and say "im priveledged, you guys aren't"  That being said if you really know what it is STFU talking about it or tell us LMAO.

I think he has been working on armok again.  I think it began when i inquired to him about the editors in irc and he posted them and we played with them for a bit and messsed around.  Then i made a push to clean up Dragslay and release it, wich got some response but i think ended in a dead end.  I originally thought it was dragslay, but now i think it is armok.  And you are pissin me off sayin you know you know and we dont, this is like the 3 rd or 4th time you have done so.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2008, 10:55:54 pm »

The way I see Toady's development is this: if he, working solo, has been able to create the DF we play today, I see no reason to doubt his ability to improve the game in the future.

Although I guess I do understand the fear that Toady is losing enthusiasm. I don't think he is, it sounds like he is working very diligently (more than I work), so I can't judge him.

But I (as an artist and "coder" of sorts) also understand how things can seem drawn out, and that can seriously dampen one's enthusiasm for anything.

Dear Toady: I support you, and hope you enjoy your working on DF. We all appreciate it, and I sincerely hope you have fun while working.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]