Advanced search  

Author Topic: Storage  (Read 874 times)

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
Storage
« on: April 07, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »

There shoud be more compact storge. In RL wine cellars store barrles (and bottles) horizontally on racks. So lets have a rack that we can make that can store 6 barrles of alcohol. And of course shelves for storing 8 bins on.

on a related note to another post I made, why can't we attactch a mechanism to our bed that are next to walls to make them folding beds? (the dwarves automatically fold them up and down.) this would make dwarves happier when stuck in smaller rooms. (it's also be kinda cool.)

No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Storage
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 12:31:00 am »

As a ballancing point to the idea of barrel racks and shelves, if the shelf ignites, so does everything on it. So while you may hold some 54 barrels in a 3x3 square room (as opposed to just 9) if a fire starts in there, all that food goes up in flames.

So it's both a good idea, and a ballanced one, too.

As for beds that fold into walls; it hasn't been implemented yet for the same reason that shelves cut out from rock walls hasn't been implemented yet -- from which wall is the bed accessable? That, and the space would still be occupied by the bed, so it doesn't really save any space.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 08:02:00 am »

I'm not sure that dwarves should be able to store things as high as humans without extra machinery. their reach is about half of what human reach is, if that.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 12:12:00 pm »

A moving ladder on rails  :D
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Mylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 12:41:00 pm »

C'mon, it's not like floor space is at a premium.  You can make huge rooms to store crap and still have plenty of space left over.

The only premium I think is in travelling time, and that's likely to get a good boost when the 3rd dimension comes in, because we'll have 2 additional directions dwarves can move.  This way living and storage can be up, workshops can be south, barracks can be west, more living can be north, and more industry and farming can be east.  Or whatever you want to do.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 03:39:26 pm »

If we made shelving that cost 1 resource per square that expand capacity to 2 or three barrels would be fair, I mean a 10x10 stockpile would require 100 resources!

As much as I would like to use rock, restricting to metal or wood, would be be more balanced.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:02:23 pm »

ACK!!! NECRO

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 05:02:46 pm »

Better necro than making a new post. Well done, Porpoisepower.

Anyway, as for shelving: I think you all underestimate the amount of alcohol that fits into one barrel. These are big barrels! :)
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 05:15:47 pm »

I concur... Just... pre 3d comments are strange and frightening to me