Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A bunch of VERY BASIC problems & suggestions (Dig Fl  (Read 1111 times)

void

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A bunch of VERY BASIC problems & suggestions (Dig Fl
« on: November 21, 2007, 10:03:00 am »

1- Dig Problem:  
1.1 Digging into aquifer from BELOW raises no warning.
   Digging from above raises the damp stone warning and stops you from being flooded, but digging from below (suppose that you have dig through the aquifer level in some other place and is now going back) will leads to a perma flood in lower levels.

1.2 Digging beneath ocean and river generates tons of useless dampstone warning making dig there virtually impossible
   The check should be only performed on an aquifer level and "damp stone caused by water in the same level".

2 Work Related:
2.1 Stonecrafter uses stone that is very very far away
   In fact it's the behavior of most jobs which need an item and automatically find it, incl. haulings. It seems that they tend to find their job items from northwest, OR "physical nearest" i.e. they will ignore a stone 20 tiles straight away to grab one 10 levels beneath the workshop that they need to walk 150 tiles to get to there

2.2 No job farmer
   Old problem. Farmer keeps go into "no job" every now and then making farming a hard job and the count of Idlers flash. A possible solution could be "When a plant seed job is done, check to see if there's any more plant seed."

3 Cage and Traps :
3.1 When a Trap related job is interrupted, suspend them
  By "Trap related job" I mean Load trap & Clean trap. If such an job is interrupted by a hostile or wild being, it shall be suspended because odds are there that that being will be around for a while and trying to do the job is fruitless - only puts your dwarves in danger and generates lots interruped message while wasting their time and CPU.

3.2 When a "Needs empty cage" announcement is raised, suspend that job
  Due to obvious reasons empty cage is not an unlimited resource. That message will eventually keeps coming out if you have some cage traps, flooding the announcement channel.

3.3 When transport an animal from a cage to another, the "Release large animal" action shall be followed by "Load animal to cage".
  It make no sense that when you are going to transfer a deer from one cage to another you'll release it today and trying to catch it to cage two weeks later.

3.4 Dump items inside cage
  Tame an animal generates refuses and those refuses remain in the cage. Dumping them via T->Select->Enter->D(Repeat) is a painful process, so why don't you clean your cage after you feed the animal..?

4 User Interface:
4.1  Ability to turn off meaningless "Job item misplaced"
  Actually it's possible by now - By setting the "Announce Job Cancellation" to "None", but most times that cancellation has no harm and I don't see a reason why shouldn't it be moved to only if "announce Most job cancellation" - or even "All".

4.2 Ability to identify if a cage is loaded when "Build cage"
  Currently you have to check all cages one by one (select->v->repeat) and it's a very boring and tiring job. Better if loaded cage is marked in some way (i.e. Pine Cage #LOADED#).

5 Job Control (I realize that this needs a huge amount of code so it's only here as a merely suggestion)
5.1 Add a toggle view, let you to turn on/off a job on all dwarves
5.2 Add a combined toggle, let you to turn on/off all hauling jobs on a single dwarf

p.s. is Chaining animal fixed in .33b?

[ November 21, 2007: Message edited by: void ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: A bunch of VERY BASIC problems & suggestions (Dig Fl
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:12:00 am »

Seconded!!!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 06:46:00 pm »

I'm starting to think Armok hangs out here just to yell "Seconded!" on every post that comes along   ;)

But, um... yeah, seconded. Or thirded. Whatever.

[Edit: Corrected my poor grammar.]

[ November 21, 2007: Message edited by: Nesoo ]

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 07:13:00 pm »

seconded, in addition to that list, i request the ability to make 2 or more stock piles take from the same stock pile.

Right now, you can only create a linear chain on piles, it would be really nice to create a branching system of piles, so i can have a GENERAL stock pile, and then FOOD,wood,animals,stone, w/e stock pile which takes from the general one, and then have specific piles that contain only certain types of stuff that take from their type... so i can have a wheat pile, a rock nut pile, and whatever pile, take from my general food pile... and so forth... so i create a tree of stockpiles, which would be really helpful when organizing things... and creating certain piles for certain goods (so i can keep one pile of cave wheat, in front of my mill, and a pile of quary bushs next to my farmers workshop, and keep them both stocked from a general food pile near my farms... and so forth.)

Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 07:23:00 pm »

I would also ask if floors could please be deconstructed from adjacent tiles rather than from on top of the tile itself... as it makes for some major problems when you want to remove an overhanging edge at the top of a high tower  :( making scaffolding gets tiring very quickly

ogion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:31:14 am »

Just bumping thread due to the need to reraise these issues.
Sy wut?! Me ranger is fishing in the well??? He better not catch anything...

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 10:42:25 am »

1- Dig Problem: 
1.1 Digging into aquifer from BELOW raises no warning.
    Digging from above raises the damp stone warning and stops you from being flooded, but digging from below (suppose that you have dig through the aquifer level in some other place and is now going back) will leads to a perma flood in lower levels. <P>1.2 Digging beneath ocean and river generates tons of useless dampstone warning making dig there virtually impossible
    The check should be only performed on an aquifer level and "damp stone caused by water in the same level". 

More likely those messages will become important because n reality and probably the future of DF  the water will break through and flood things
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 01:03:01 pm »

3 Cage and Traps :
3.1 When a Trap related job is interrupted, suspend them
  By "Trap related job" I mean Load trap & Clean trap. If such an job is interrupted by a hostile or wild being, it shall be suspended because odds are there that that being will be around for a while and trying to do the job is fruitless - only puts your dwarves in danger and generates lots interruped message while wasting their time and CPU.

3.2 When a "Needs empty cage" announcement is raised, suspend that job
  Due to obvious reasons empty cage is not an unlimited resource. That message will eventually keeps coming out if you have some cage traps, flooding the announcement channel.
No way. I'd rather have message spam than yet another job that I have to micromanage every time a dwarf sees a groundhog, gets a mood, or is married.  Just forbid the traps you don't want loaded.

There should really just be an orders option. Dwarves load traps: yes or no?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 01:08:58 pm by Skid »
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 11:33:14 pm »

Currently you have to check all cages one by one (select->v->repeat) and it's a very boring and tiring job. Better if loaded cage is marked in some way (i.e. Pine Cage #LOADED#)
Press x and it expands the cage list and shows what's in the cages (donkey cage).
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 10:24:59 am »

Currently you have to check all cages one by one (select->v->repeat) and it's a very boring and tiring job. Better if loaded cage is marked in some way (i.e. Pine Cage #LOADED#)
Press x and it expands the cage list and shows what's in the cages (donkey cage).

Somehow I think there's some confusion between built cages, cage stockpiles, and cage traps.  The only thing I know of that requires a loaded cage is a trap.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 06:21:20 pm »

Many good suggestions. Old post, but most (if not all) still seem valid. :)

2.1 - This one sounds like an outright bug.

3.1 and 3.2 - If the "load trap" job is suspended, the unloaded trap needs to flash annoyingly, like suspended buildings do now. If they don't, it would be very easy to miss them and never un-suspend the job (maybe it already works like this; I don't use traps a lot, so I could have missed it).

On a whole I am a little unsure about this one though - keeping traps loaded seems like a very important task. Although of course that could be said about many different tasks, depending on the situation.

3.4 - You didn't say this explicitly, but the easiest solution would seem to be to drop the remains where the tamer dwarf was standing instead of inside the cage. That way it'd get cleaned up eventually.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.