Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jelousy  (Read 797 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jelousy
« on: November 26, 2008, 07:32:36 pm »

My king has elaborate, extravagant rooms.  Ridiculously extravagant.  But he's still unhappy because he feels that unnamed dwarves have rooms above their station.  Can someone explain how jealousy works, and how I can avoid it?

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jelousy
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

Give your other dwarves crappier rooms.

The first time I got the king, I had a setup where all nobles were in the same room, barracks style.  Sure, the value was quartered because of overlapping rooms, but the sheer number of artifacts made up for it.

Unfortunately, the king arrived, and got pissed that those "beneath" him had rooms every bit as royal as he did, since they were, in fact, the same room.  Went berserk.

From the 'n'obles screen, look at who has rooms better than they're asking for, and downgrade appropriately.  Or if you've given really nice rooms to some legendary dwarves, or military heroes, downgrade those.

Or, tell the noble to take a flying leap.  Your choice.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »

Or, tell the noble to take a flying leap.  Your choice.

I agree, it's not like kill him has any effect, (well not yet) not to mention the mandates!

URgh! Mandates? You want a mandate PULL THE FUCKING LEVER!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

MercDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • Royal Hammerer, Smasher of Stupid Nobles,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 01:52:40 am »

The Mandate lever.... its brilliant
they think up some rediculous mandate on pig iron (that your copper fort can't produce) they walk up to the "mandate Box" pull the lever and open up a volcano into their noble rooms... then Urist comes by pulls the magma drainage system and you prep for the next hapless expendable noble to grace you with a mandate
The Cake...is...a...LIE!!!
The Worlds Best Trap includes a single left footed -Pig Tail- sock.
Madness? This isn't Madness...This is DWARF FORTRESS.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 03:28:55 pm »

The Mandate lever.... its brilliant
they think up some rediculous mandate on pig iron (that your copper fort can't produce) they walk up to the "mandate Box" pull the lever and open up a volcano into their noble rooms... then Urist comes by pulls the magma drainage system and you prep for the next hapless expendable noble to grace you with a mandate

No no no, the lever controls the retractable bridge underneath them, so as soon as it's pulled they fall through into the magma.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 06:12:17 pm »

Noone warns you that the hardest part of HFS isn't [dooooooooooommmmmmm] it's the freaking king coming into the fort.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 01:32:53 am »

I don't want to downgrade my rooms, if I can avoid it.  My dwarves work hard; they deserve nice furniture.  I want everyone to have the highest quality room possible.

The 'r' menu rates all the designated rooms by quality.  Presumably it takes a numerical value score and then lumps those values into categories.  Has anyone figured out if the game determines jealousy on the numbers or the categories?

Put differently, is the king jealous because someone else has a room that is too close to the numerical value of the king's room?  Or is the king jealous because someone else has a room that is rated as royal, even though the offending room's underlying value might be less than half the king's room?