Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves won't pick up bolts [Solved]  (Read 3479 times)

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves won't pick up bolts [Solved]
« on: November 28, 2008, 10:44:56 am »

I'm using the orcs mod with a custom tileset. Otherwise I've got a pretty standard set-up.

I've trained two marksdwarves up to legendary. Then I switched them over to wrestling and later hammers to get some more attributes and make them survive longer.

When I was attacked I switched them back to the marksdwarves squad (and changed their weapons to crossbows from the military screen) and they happily picked up crossbows and then stood behind my fortifications. But they refused to pick up any bolts (there is a huge pile of bone and wooden bolts next to them) and simply grinned at the orcs (there wasn't a pathable way in and the orcs were wandering about outside.)

My other marksdwarf trained only with crossbows happily emptied their quivers. But they only reloaded after a good while (by that time the orcs were running away and they had been taken off-duty).

However, the cross-trained dwarves still haven't reloaded. They have quivers and crossbows.

Is this a bug or is there a trick to getting them to pick up bolts that I don't know?

EDIT: Marked it as solved to help others with the same problem.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:47:45 am by Martian »

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves won't pick up bolts
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 11:04:54 am »

a) I think this has been reported for .40d several times. I had the same behavior with my only well-trained marksdwarf/hammerdwarf in my last fort - he only used his crossbow for melee, both sparring and when on active duty.

b) Generally AFAIK you could check if this dwarf is holding something strange in his left hand that prevents him from picking up bolts. (I quit that fort out of boredom though so I'm not sure if that caused my marksdwarf to not want to use bolts ...)

Compare these...
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26107.0

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves won't pick up bolts
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:46:45 am »

I did do a basic search but not a very good one. Sorry.  :-[

That seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks.

Caffienatedjedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves won't pick up bolts [Solved]
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 11:49:46 am »

You said they had wood and bone bolts. Marksdwarves treat these as practice bolts. They will only use metal bolts when on duty(unless they are already  armed with wood/bone which they won't reload on).
By that logic, wagons are the gods of war.

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves won't pick up bolts [Solved]
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 01:15:06 pm »

Even though this is solved, I must prod at Caffie's statement.

That would have to be untrue.
I never ever make metal bolts for my dwarves, and the marksdwarves still use bone bolts when fighting against any enemy.

They will not use Metal bolts to train, but they'll still use 'practice bolts' to fight the enemy, if thats all they have.
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.