Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves refuse to build floor  (Read 1568 times)

Falcondude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves refuse to build floor
« on: November 27, 2008, 04:25:58 pm »

I'm just in the first Autumn of my fort, and my masons are refusing to build a floor.

I have 7 dwarves, all of which are idling, and they won't build a floor for me. They've got masonry enabled, and they're willing to build chairs, but they won't go near this construction.

The setup is like this, if it matters:

#_#
#F#
#F#
#_#

# = natural floor
F = my designations
_ = channel

So, why aren't they building it? It seems odd that one task is ignored.

biomatter

• Bay Watcher
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves refuse to build floor
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 05:16:10 pm »

They can access it, right? I mean, this is the dumb obvious question, but you should start by checking to make sure they can path to it. Also, try cancelling the task and restarting it. There might have been a problem/glitch with the stone intended for use. Are you sure you didn't miss an announcement?
Now you will know why you fear the night!

Falcondude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 05:48:02 pm »

Yup, there's a clear path to it. I'll check the announcements and try re-doing it.

EDIT: nope, no luck. No announcements about it were made, and restarting the task doesn't affect it. It's odd.

EDITAGAIN: Weird. I added an extra path to the other side and they built it. Whatever, problem solved.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 06:10:44 pm by Falcondude »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 09:17:04 pm »

Sometimes, the stone selection bit will get confused, and will show you stone that isn't actually accessible to any dwarves -- it may be that they were trying to get stone from the other side (maybe before the channels were made?) and couldn't path to it.  It won't cause the job to cancel, it just stays inactive forever.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Falcondude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 09:25:15 pm »

I'm positive that there was stone on both sides; they probably just began the job trying to get it on the right (which had no access), yeah. Thanks for the insight.