Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Someone teach me the art of Fort Destruction  (Read 880 times)

Ademisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Someone teach me the art of Fort Destruction
« on: November 26, 2008, 10:00:22 pm »

I have tried everything, but it seems my fort is invincible.

I was going to abandon my fort as I forgot to keep an eye on my animal population and they bred into the hundreds. Instead of just erasing all my hard work, I thought I'd see if I can leave the place the way I found it, desolate.

I thought I'd start with the infamous tantrum spiral as everyone was friends with pretty much 1/3 of the fortress by then and I hoped that would be enough. Half a fort slaughtered and only a few tantrums.

Unfortunately for me those tantrumers destroyed most of the mechanisms and levers of my torture devices and flood chambers, at least to the point where they were no longer usable. Wanting to gain greater momentum I continued killing with what I had in hopes of ending this within a season. Even then, my dwarves were unhappy at worst. As a last ditch effort, I recruited everyone I could and drowned them all in the last remaining flood chamber.

I did catch a break and had a champion go berserk, slaughtering 8 people, but even that was short lived. For some reason, he was confined to the floor where he started berserking, and that floor didn't get many visitors. Eventually another champion came and effortlessly flung him against the wall. That wasn't enough to kill him, and so he spent his remaining days hobbling with broken legs and face after his victims, never again to know the joys of manslaughter.

Since then, my fort of 3 guards, 1 mayor and 8 kids have survived on their own for over a year. My 3 guards rip apart the multiple sieges without breaking a sweat, and I can't really build any traps or such to kill them with (not that I'd want to waste time doing so anyway). Everyone is upbeat and happy, seemingly having forgotten the dozens of friends each they have lost during the previous year. Even the food doesn't run out because the mayor has taken it upon himself to forage.

I need some ideas on how to end this, hopefully within the year. Also post general methods to keep dwarf/pet population in check or just ways to quickly and efficiently slaughter many things, especially w/o massive preparation like having a doomsday lever that flattens the entire fortress.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:05:06 pm by Ademisk »

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Someone teach me the art of Fort Destruction
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:14:27 pm »

I build a starving room early to kill off migrants that I don't want, or the jerk who forms 20 or so grudges with the rest. Just lock the offenders into a room, if you draft them and put them on uty in the room, the dwarves will make their way there as soon as they arrive on map.

I usually murder pet owners, an then mark their pet as unavailable and butcher it when I can. I prefer my dwarves dancing on tables, not the horses!

If you want to tune the population further, set the population cap low in the init settings, then gradually increase it as you get ready for the extra labor.

About ending the fortress, your meager band of survivors should be winning your praise for their genius ways of thwarting their fate!. Once migration resumes, you will easily run out of food. You could always lock your mayor and the guards in their rooms, they will eventually starve, but I believe that super tough dwarves will take a while to do so. But you don't need mechanisms to deprive food, just a few doors.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:16:25 pm »

Get rid of the damn dining halls/bedrooms/food. Then scatter one-tile refuse stockpiles everywhere so miasma chokes the whole fortress.

Then a series of cave-ins causing smoke to ruin people.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:33:26 pm »

why not take this as an opportunity? you have a rare scenario.

take those guys, dig into a seperate mountian, make a new fort, then try to get strong enough to reclaim your old on to full power

Ademisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 04:00:54 pm »

At the moment, the doors of both barracks are missing due to tantrums, and everyone else is either recruited and legendary, noble, or child, so nothing can be rebuilt. Things are kind of out of my hands until I get some immigrants or something.

Micro102, I'm not sure what you mean about reclaiming the fort. I haven't lost it to begin with, and thats the problem. Also, most of the remaining animals (still a lot) have been adopted by the remaining dwarves so I dont really want to continue because of the low FPS, unless the children grow up before they're all dead and I send them and their pets into a siege.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 09:50:44 pm »

sry i knew that was gonna be hard to understand

take your leftover non insane guys and have them dig out a different base in a seperate mountian on the same map. keep the sane people there and regrow your population until the children grow up and you gain some migrants. then once all the insane guys are dead move your guys back in and rebuild what you lose

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 12:05:02 pm »

Push button.
Receive annihilation.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 01:57:47 pm »

if you just need to kill dwarfs in large numbers and indescriminatly, lock the doors on your food storage, keep them all inside, and make sure caravans are locked out.  they should all have starved to death and tantrumed a bit on the way down, before the year is out.

animals will be a problem though.  no help for them besides butchering or pitting.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 05:08:28 pm »

just fling them and their animals off a high bridge

you can even set the lever to repeat, and station the dwarfs location manually in the military squad stuff

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 04:04:56 am »

What you should've done at the start is just locked the door to the outside and disabled all food-making related stuff. When they start starving, they can't use the legendary dining rooms and body parts hit the fan.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.