Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Joined rivers  (Read 674 times)

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
Joined rivers
« on: November 27, 2008, 04:12:15 pm »

Two rivers enter my map, one river leaves. Unfortunately, this is just because they join, not because I've made some cool arena where features of the landscape fight to the death.

Anyhow, to retrieve several sets of masterwork steel plate from the river, I dammed one of them close to the source. This worked well, soon emptying that part of the river, and lowering the level of water after the joining point enough that my dwarves could collect the armour, etc.

Oddly, though, the water level has risen again. I didn't notice when it happened, but I think it was at the beginning of a sew season. So my questions:

1) Are the water source tiles for the undammed river suddenly working extra hard to make up the difference, or something?

2) Is it meant to happen that way?
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
Re: Joined rivers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 04:47:09 pm »

Two rivers enter my map, one river leaves. Unfortunately, this is just because they join, not because I've made some cool arena where features of the landscape fight to the death.

I LOLed.  :D  Thank you for making my day.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 01:43:36 am »

Damnit, I read the first sentence, wanted to make that joke... then you beat me to it.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 04:50:58 am »

1) I reckon so.
2) Yes.

I think what you've done can be effectively modelled by digging out a large channeled section next to a river then linking the two - it will fill with water, even though the river is flowing off the map at the same time. I think if you want to rescue your armour you'll need a dam at the other side of the armour or at the other river source.

I'm not sure on the exact mechanics of rivers, it could just be based off "normal" water pressure, in which case if the exit of your river was closer to your remaining source than your newly dammed river, then your dammed river would stay dry. (Unless there is some sort of flow limiting effect at river exits and the source exceeds that limit - I assume there is such a limit and normally thats ok, it just pressurises the river water, so it will gush into any channels you make to it. Hm.)