Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1050 once again?  (Read 1351 times)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
1050 once again?
« on: November 25, 2008, 11:11:57 pm »

i just created a world that ended at the year 1050!
strange considering most worlds now stop at 2-300.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 1050 once again?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 12:43:38 am »

A few people do this for nostalgia's sake. Of course, there's hardly any mega beasts left at that time.
Magma is overrated.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 02:32:39 am »

Did it stop at 1050 on it's own?  If so, are you sure you didn't tweak something.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 12:35:51 pm »

it did.
and i got it from create new world now so im not sure.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 08:31:03 pm »

1050 is the default end-o-the-world value. Check the design new world with parameters tab, make a new set and set the limit to 10000 (maximum) if you want to play longer.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 12:16:24 am »

Yeah 1050 is the default end value, but for the megabeasts to die off that slowly I think something would have to be changed.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 08:22:49 am »

EDIT: woops misunderstood

If you added any custom megabeasts you'd have to change some values yes, default it waits until 80% of all megabeasts are dead to end world gen, if it went all the way through to 1050 it means your megabeasts are pretty darn sturdy. Could've been a coincedence.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:55:04 am by Pruvan »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 09:37:30 am »

I always set my mega and semi megas' DAMBLOCK to 500. Still, by the year 1050 the world has become boring and stagnating and most of the civs will have died off (sometimes there isn't an Elf civ at the end), there are no more wars as every empire has extended to its maximum area because of terrain limits, so I always end world gen at year 500-600 ish.

That said, it's awesome that a vanilla DF worldgen managed to reach year 1050. In my attempts the most I always got to was year 50-90.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 10:48:00 am »

I always set my mega and semi megas' DAMBLOCK to 500. Still, by the year 1050 the world has become boring and stagnating and most of the civs will have died off (sometimes there isn't an Elf civ at the end), there are no more wars as every empire has extended to its maximum area because of terrain limits, so I always end world gen at year 500-600 ish.

That said, it's awesome that a vanilla DF worldgen managed to reach year 1050. In my attempts the most I always got to was year 50-90.
Hax.  It waits until 200 on a regular world before it even checks for the stopping triggers (80% megabeasts dead)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 11:41:02 am »

It seems that region size affects how long it goes.  When I've generated "pocket" sized worlds, it can stop as early as 30 years in.  Larger ones continue for a few hundred years.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 01:49:48 pm »

Indeed. Pocket worlds only have 1 megabeast, if it's dead by 30 (that's when it starts checking) then world gen finishes.

If you want full control on how long world gen lasts, just make a custom parameter set, make it finish when 0% of megabeasts are dead and then set the year it should start checking (minimum 2) to when you want to start playing. That way the second it checks world gen will finish, cause 0% simply means there can be as little or many megabeasts dead as may be, it'll finish anyway.