Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Military training  (Read 3567 times)

Sophismata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military training
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2008, 02:51:59 am »

Anyway, the point was it's kinda silly for a Dwarf to become a Champion (All hail <x>!) without any field experience, and I agree.

(On another note, why does someone inevitably jump in on topics regarding game fighting and devolve the whole thing into theoretical drivel based on historical unfacts and idiotic present-day comparisons?)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:58:40 am by Sophismata »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2008, 08:27:43 am »

Anyway, the point was it's kinda silly for a Dwarf to become a Champion (All hail <x>!) without any field experience, and I agree.
Good thing it's already on the dev list.

Wait what? What is on the dev list? You mean that dwarves will need to fight in battles -for example- in order to reach X "level" in certain skills?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2008, 08:33:59 am »

This is kinda the reason why I kinda wanted the ability to send Soldiers out as adventurers (sorta) to destroy creatures, assasinate enemies, and do general adventuring abilities with a chance that they could die while away.

It just makes sense for training!

Sophismata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2008, 10:58:19 am »

My bad there, what I had in my head and what I typed out didn't match up.

"Rather than capping weapon skills for training dwarves, there will likely be a few new skills and other bits of knowledge that are more readily learned during actual combat, though a commander with those skills and the ability to teach will probably be able to pass many of those along in part."

There needs to be a way to seperate veterans from recruits, battle-experience wise. I'm glad to see it coming up.

I'm not asking for a cap, so much as meaning to the term "Champion".

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2008, 03:28:46 pm »

To Andrei: Wouldn't somebody grabbing you by your shirt be more a matter of suprise than anything? I mean, if you had the muscle mass to lift somebody bigger than you (which is posisble) a smaller person could pull off the same move (although it would be harder). If somebody was actually trying to fight you, lifting them up isn't usually the safest technique (if it's two full grown adults, the person lifting you would have trouble blocking the easy kick to the face you would have, unless there was a large height difference).

On topic: My ideas are generally the same as those of Sophismata and andrei's small on topic bit.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2008, 03:41:31 pm »

My bad there, what I had in my head and what I typed out didn't match up.

"Rather than capping weapon skills for training dwarves, there will likely be a few new skills and other bits of knowledge that are more readily learned during actual combat, though a commander with those skills and the ability to teach will probably be able to pass many of those along in part."

There needs to be a way to seperate veterans from recruits, battle-experience wise. I'm glad to see it coming up.

I'm not asking for a cap, so much as meaning to the term "Champion".

Ah hehe.. :P
Yep, I suppose "battlefield xp" will be in the game somehow...at least it's a must have on my list of wishes.  :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:55:31 pm by Tormy »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]