Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Horrible and Outright Painful Death  (Read 5856 times)

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible and Outright Painful Death
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2008, 02:11:40 pm »

ahhh i wasn't thinking about it in terms of effectivness, just awesomness :P i just think it could create some pretty damned cool battles

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2008, 03:36:29 pm »

If you're looking for sweet battles, then I'd recommend toting some siege weaponry out onto a flat plane outside and have your military meet the meat head on, whilst the siege weaponry fired straight into the mix. A real meatgrinder, that. Talk about your horrible and outright painful deaths- getting skewered by a ballista bolt, from your own side no less. For those that ascribe to the school of "Subract your losses from their losses and if the output is a positive number call it a glorious victory" school of thought, or even the "If the number of dead bodies exceeds [Insert Number] then it was a glorious day for all" school of thought, that'd be some very awe-inspiring battles right there. I had two massive formation/examples to give you, but I hit control-something instead of shift-T and deleted the entire post. It was a rather nice and educational talk about the battles of Verdun of WWI and Cannae of the Second Punic War, but alas, a wayward finger saw to it that it was not to be. Oh well. Hope my suggestion sparks some sort of idea for you!
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2008, 07:44:28 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27060.0

I believe that one takes the cake.  Even if he didn't technically die.

Curse you Kurisukun, you stole my most horrible death. I was going to post it. =P

For my second most horrific death I had a dwarven recruit that came fresh from the mines. I figured he could do some military duty, and soon enough he got his chance. An ambush came before he became a wrestler, and I sent him out with the rest of the platoon. When the skirmish came to an end Poor Urist had lost an arm and an eye. To be certain I wasn't going to let him become useless, so after some recovery time he was back up and ready to go. I set him to be a marksdwarf. He became competent, and was put on the military rotation.

Another ambush, this was his time to shine. He rushed right out with the rest of the military, All of them prepared to fight. 5 seconds later, one third of the military decided that it was a good time to get something to drink. The remaining two thirds were then met with the incoming bolts of goblin crossbowmen. Several of my dwarves fell then and there. While Urist fired back. He had taken a few hits as well, mostly to the legs which were now crippled. Again, by the end he had lost his other eye and an ear, along with his left leg.

Once the military might of our fortress had failed it was up to the civilians to carry out plan B. A row of 8 masterwork ballistas and 8 Legendary operators. I do feel a tad bit of guilt firing on a battlefield where there are still some surviving soldiers (The drinkers had run back out to the battlefield by this point, and were being thoroughly thwarted), but I think the ends justified the means.

Urist managed to survive the onslaught due to a lucky fall (between the ballista's firing area). He was retrived and treated for his wounds. He never fully recovered from his wounds before the ultimate fall of the fortress by an accidental loosing of a caged dragon inside the fortress. He burned to death in his bed. A death that was a long time coming.

I almost nicked him 'Lucky' but had second thoughts, as I felt it too cruel to call his survival 'luck'.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:49:31 pm by Kate Wissen »
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2008, 08:21:13 pm »

I just had an adventurer with superdwarven toughness. I lit a fire in a forest, and went to get something to drink.

I came back and I was unconcious with red on all possible body parts. Turns out I had my sticky . key conspire against me.

I died shortly. Pun intended.

Yuu_Inohara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2008, 09:12:54 pm »

I'd have to say the worst was when I had started on a glacier and hit 50 units of booze, so I decided to melt some of the ice (away from my fort of course) with the lava tube, and then build a well over the water that was formed, well, by the time I finally got it set so I could do this (at the cost of a miner because all attempts to channel lead to water flowing in and blocking the magma flow) I had hit 5 booze and quickly ordered a well be built, what do my dwarves do instead? Rip the clothes off of a recently killed ranger, they never did build that damn well, and once thirst set in it took about a minute for me to go from a fortress of 50 dwarves to five.
Divide by zero and sacrifice some of the players to Armok probably. Though this would be somewhat cool to have around.
Oh, Toady already does such things on a regular basis. I think he calls it 'Tuesday'.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2008, 10:36:44 pm »

I am afraid Dictionary Dot Com disagrees with you!

I'm very sorry, but as a nerd I feel the need to point out that even your own link states that the word irregardless is more slang than word, due to it combining "Ir" and "-less", thus breaking the double-negative rule, and having it come from people in the early 20th century combining "irrespective" and "regardless", despite it maiking no sence at all. Fun quote:
Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

Then again, eyeball, wormhole, and a slew of other words people commonly use were all made up by William Shakespeare, so who cares?

...nerds like me, I guess...
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2008, 10:52:23 pm »

my dwarf was scared into lava that was only 2/7. By a raccoon. Ouch. Slow.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]