Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ability to mod in tactical turn based combat  (Read 1130 times)

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
Ability to mod in tactical turn based combat
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:59:34 am »

XCOM: !!ZOMBIE EAGLE!! DEFENSE GOLD

This is probably a long range, low priority suggestion. Turn based combat should be an init option. Amount of action points a unit gets can be modified by unit speed.

*<<+flying suit+>>*
¤Autocannon¤ (this is why the zombie eagle is on fire)
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to mod in tactical turn based combat
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:05:07 am »

DF is already turn-based.  The turns are just really fast.  No, I'm not being a smartass.  If you want turns that a fixed number of ticks, it's not really obvious what that number should be.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 10:53:18 am »

Press space to pause the game.
Hold "." to advance turns.
Issue orders as usual (you will have more interesting squad control in the next version).

TADA! Turn based combat.
<3

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:03:56 am »

Personally I love the turn based system, but I doubt that we gonna have that in DF. Not to mention that the current real time system + pause function is good enough imo.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:04:59 am »

Press space to pause the game.
Hold "." to advance turns.
Issue orders as usual (you will have more interesting squad control in the next version).

TADA! Turn based combat.

Actually, now that I think about it, it would be really nice if there was an init option to change how many ticks pass for each press of "."

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 11:30:42 am »

I mean the addition of a team movement phase and an enemy movement phase instead of how it is right now, a pseudo-realistic simulation of realism.
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 06:29:06 pm »

I mean the addition of a team movement phase and an enemy movement phase instead of how it is right now, a pseudo-realistic simulation of realism.

But that isn't really how it works, and changing it (adding the abstraction of 'you go, i go' turns just for this extra mode) would be a huge hassle for little gain.

Furthermore, Dwarf Fortress has never been about having total control over the actions of your dwarves.   Just enough to nudge 'em along.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 06:56:54 pm »

What about something along the lines of Dominions (better for after the Army is out). Give formation and tactics orders and let your dwarves handle it. Or maybe something realistic where you need flags and horns and spotters to communicate and coordinate at a distance.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 07:00:24 pm »

But that isn't really how it works, and changing it (adding the abstraction of 'you go, i go' turns just for this extra mode) would be a huge hassle for little gain.
You could hardly call a new game mode "little gain". Don't see the difference between the DF combat system and my proposed system? Play xcom and then tell me which one is more engaging.

Furthermore, Dwarf Fortress has never been about having total control over the actions of your dwarves.   Just enough to nudge 'em along.
Who said anything about dwarf fortress? :P I want this in so I can make my awesome dwarfcom mod.

Scribbler: I'm not looking for rock-paper-scissors mechanics, I want to have actual strategy in this game.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 07:11:11 pm »

You could hardly call a new game mode "little gain". Don't see the difference between the DF combat system and my proposed system? Play xcom and then tell me which one is more engaging.
Well, then play Xcom... Or adventure mode, if you want control over the minutiae.

Battling is just one of the things you can do in the game. It's not important enough to overhaul the whole game mechanic for.

Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 07:51:45 pm »

especially in a game breaky way.

I love xcom mind you, but it's a lot of work programming the AI to do something like this, not to mention the damage to the engine.

Consolation Prize

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 08:13:40 pm »

Scribbler: I'm not looking for rock-paper-scissors mechanics, I want to have actual strategy in this game.
I'm not aware of Dominions (and I mean Dominions 3) having any. Not suitable for an X-Com type game (I would love a decent fantasy X-Com), the army screen shows a square where you can position each independent unit (for flanking) or squad and issue basic orders like attack flyers or shoot the nearest enemy. There are a bunch of options.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 12:52:25 am »

One thing nobody called the TC on: He claimed that DF's "everything happens at once" gameplay was LESS REALISTIC than "you go, I go" mechanics. That's just stupid. In real war, did the knights agree to hit each other in turns, or just start hacking at each other?

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 12:06:53 pm »

One thing nobody called the TC on: He claimed that DF's "everything happens at once" gameplay was LESS REALISTIC than "you go, I go" mechanics.
Where? Here is the quote
All this means is that the current system tries to emulate realism halfheartedly. I haven't mentioned the turn based system's realism in this sentence at all. Pardon the ambiguity.