Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Tolkein-Themed Game Ever  (Read 1668 times)

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best Tolkein-Themed Game Ever
« on: February 18, 2008, 03:17:00 am »

"The Last Days of the Third Age" mod for Mount and Blade v0.808

I read an online comic called "If LotR were a DnD campaign" or something like that, and it made me nostalgic to crank up TLD again.

So nostalgic I reloaded the older version of M&B necessary to play it.

I don't even like Tolkein.  I tried to read The Hobbit and got bored on page 40-something, never reading another word written by the man for the rest of my life.

But this game rocks.  And it's a free mod for a cheap indie FPS/RPG hybrid.

Your role begins as "peasant with command potential".  Your mission is to crush the military might of the Shadow before they do the same to the Free Peoples.

Good luck.

The two biggest things that make TLD cool are the details and the urgency of time management.  The details, things like names, uniforms, places, opponents, all lend to an immersive atmosphere, like you're living out a story.
Time management is the engine that drives all your decisions.  There are some really powerful artifacts you can only gain by spending influence, and the best way to gain influence is by increasing your rank by performing missions, but that takes time away from chasing down the big army groups whose elimination is your main objective.
Helping the Elves has huge rewards, but getting to their territory requires a costly ride through a vast expanse of unimportant terrain, so you have to judge carefully whether you can afford the detour.
Last item: Orc dental hygiene.  Saruman clearly isn't using his mighty engines of war to make toothbrushes.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Best Tolkein-Themed Game Ever
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 03:32:00 am »

Yeah, I was playing the older version of that a while back.  Managed to get myself a "black blade of Mordor".  I highly recommend it, as it is a giant two-handed sword that menaces with spikes and is engraved with evil-looking runes.

Pity I lost all that when I upgraded...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 03:48:00 am »

I knew I forgot something after updating to .903, the EG mod.

Also my favorite mod was Give me liberty of Give me Death, because who doesnt like shooting muskets from horseback?

[ February 18, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »

Me, after reloading the musket through the invisible ammo-port with my invisible ramrod for the umpteenth time...

Aw, who am I kidding.  Blasting someone with a swift kiss of death from sweet Brown Bess is just one of those things you can't help but enjoy...

Have any of you guys tried the Warhammer 40k mod?   Wasn't exactly fleshed-out, but it had some fun points here and there.

Dammit, you blighters are making me want to play M&B again, and I've got DF modding to do!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

Pfff.  The best Tolkein-themed game was clearly War in Middle Earth, in all its 16-color, PC speaker, realtime armies-moving-across-the-*WHOLE*-map-of-the-entire-Middle-Earth glory.  With zooming into a side view to show beautiful images of forests, fields, towers, etc. with your characters (or armies!) walking past or camping or fighting or whatever.

I've still got the ENORMOUS fold-out map (which doubled as copy protection).

The music to that game is the one true LotR soundtrack.

>.>

*cough*

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »

He he, yeah, I hum one of the War in Middle Earth themes constantly.  That game rocked.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!