Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Problem.  (Read 937 times)

Gondovia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Military Problem.
« on: November 25, 2008, 07:16:40 am »

I seem to be having a problem training everything other than marksdwarves and wrestlers.Every time I designate a dwarf to use a weapon he will , in a few moments , become a wrestler while he is sparring.I am fairly new to the game and any tips on this problem are welcome. ;D 

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Military Problem.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 07:40:23 am »

While sparring with weapons, dorfs train wrestling as well e.g. when dodging.
Now I vaguely recall reading somewhwere on the forum, that it's not healthy for your military to have dorfs with weapons train together with wrestlers as the later will try to grab the former, so then dorfs with weapons will train wrestling by trying to break the lock, and the more skiller the wrestler, the fewer oportunities to swing a weapon. I'm not sure if I didn't just invented this, though.
Still even if the above is true, your warriors should train said skills, but more slowly. Don't they get any wpn skill levels at all?

Gondovia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 07:46:29 am »

They get extremely little amounts.Such as one of my Champions had Dabbling Hammerdwarf but Legendary Wrestling.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 07:56:32 am »

well then, have you tried giving them all weapons to eliminate the possibility of what I mentioned before? Because that's the only thing I can think of.

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 06:50:16 pm »

There is a bug in the current version: Wrestling gains experience VERY rapidly in dwarf mode, much more so than weapon skills. I've had legendary wrestlers inside of a year. I heard one account of it happening to someone in one season.

The "Title", wether it's wrestler, hammerdwarf, or marksdwarf, doesn't actually describe how they'll fight, or what they are wielding, it's just based on their highest skill.

Because of the "Wrestling XP" bug, and the fact that even weapon users get wrestling XP when they attempt dodges, it's very easy for someone's title to be "wrestler", even if they are using a weapon from the start.
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:06:42 am »

If everyone has a weapon, they almost always first gain novice in maces or whatever you gave them. I trained quite a few Fodder class troops and maybe on in ten became a wrestler