Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Death trap experiment  (Read 454 times)

Yuu_Inohara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Death trap experiment
« on: November 23, 2008, 01:16:12 pm »

Alright, I'm still working with the fortress having caravan problems (got stuff stabalized finally) and I devised a cleaning system for when the goblin sieges start and they get stuck under my bridge- three tunnels attached to the nearby brook held behind floodgates which when released should wash the gobbos down the tunnel under my bridge and down to the rim of the nearby magma pool (and hopefully into the pool), but I have a two questions.

First off will this even work? Second where should I put the floodgates (at the brook, halfway down the tunnel, at the end of their tunnel?) to get maximum water pressure?
Divide by zero and sacrifice some of the players to Armok probably. Though this would be somewhat cool to have around.
Oh, Toady already does such things on a regular basis. I think he calls it 'Tuesday'.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Death trap experiment
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:19:54 pm »

1. Only flowing water pushes things. Thus you need to make sure spaces don't immideately go to 7/7 water.
 2. Water turns magma into obsidian. Watch as your pool dries up and becomes unusable.
 3. A pit would work much much better under the drawbridges. Not any wussy 1 z-level pit, but a good bottom of the map pit.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Yuu_Inohara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 01:30:43 pm »

I'm not worried about the pool, I have a magma pipe on the map as well, one which goes up to surface level at that, plus, obsidian is always nice. As far as 'working better' is concerned, if doing so doesn't immediately lead to my death, I prefer to be more elaborate with my death traps than just dropping enemies down a really deep pit. Anyway, for the flowing, should forgo the extra two tunnels to prevent this?
Divide by zero and sacrifice some of the players to Armok probably. Though this would be somewhat cool to have around.
Oh, Toady already does such things on a regular basis. I think he calls it 'Tuesday'.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 01:40:43 pm »

Well, a suggestion has been made to make a "slope" of one z-level drops to whever you need the things moved. This makes sure there is always an area of less than 7/7, which means there is always a current.

So yes, make sure there is a gradual increase in the water level, as opposed to flushing them as quick as possible.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Yuu_Inohara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 02:00:01 pm »

alright, looks like this plan will have to be put on hold till I get some bauxite aswell, that way I can just tap into the magma pipe and make a magma resevoir to dump badies into with this method. Thanks for the advice though.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 02:03:21 pm »

would it be elaborate enough to just flood the pit, then drain the water and collect the leftovers?

altough... doing this with magma is better anyway, removes most of the worthless items in one go  ;D