Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building/Construction templates  (Read 1013 times)

trav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building/Construction templates
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:41:52 pm »

A few ideas rolled into the same system here.

Construction mode as it stands has been improved but is still somewhat painful.  I've been playing around with the idea of a mode where you can pretend to have infinite resources and lay down a blue print for a construction, and then save that blue print, which can then be placed on the DF map.

Once placed it will create designations & build orders for putting together that construction.

I can see a lot of complexity if you take into account multiple z levels, and accessibility etc, but the idea keeps coming back to me so I figured I'd share it.

I also see this idea as being potentially relevant to workshops.  Perhaps the current workshops can be replaced with building templates that involve certain criteria,
eg: a carpenters workshop requires: a wood lathe, 2 benches and a vice.
This could involve both furniture and new craftable items (tools).

If the AI can learn how to arrange these buildings then this could lead to some more varied buildings within the human civ's in adventure mode.

Mind you I'd much much rather see armies and caravans implemented than this idea, but I figured I'd throw this one out there for potentially the distant future

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building/Construction templates
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 06:43:54 am »

It would be useful to make sequential blueprints (like lego instructions). That way the AI can build more complicated buildings too. It would probably be best to put them in a text file, so players can exchange them, ultimately leading to a large variety of buildings in the world, that the AI can build in real time.

It would be great if functional buildings could be put together from parts too in this way. We could make catapults and ballistae with varying size and/or force as needed, for example. But that's for the mechanics upgrade. (A catapult would need a giant spoon/ladle as a part too. I think it would be great to see them carry and install that instead of generic catapult parts. Not to mention that freak accidents with magic or leftovers from giant civs could be used. We already have giant corkscrews; huge cutlery would easily find its place.)

For workshops, which mostly are a collection of tools and furniture without any necessary relative spatial arrangement, I think it's preferable to use the room system to define them, as discussed here:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26178.0
In the eternal suggestions as "Room system defined workshops"
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

trav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building/Construction templates
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 05:30:57 am »

ooh, neat idea with the room definitions.

I gotta admit that my idea was mostly formed around above ground buildings, at some point I was thinking of a saw mill, being required to turn large logs from chopping into wooden blocks, which then could be used by the carpenters.

Also I wish the humans were more imaginative with their housing