Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like to see this?

Yes
- 6 (75%)
No
- 2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Suggestion: Dwarven learning hall  (Read 1139 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Dwarven learning hall
« on: November 24, 2008, 05:07:05 am »

I know dwarves are not known for their books and poems unlike a certain pointy eared race, but, all dwarven things I know of they seem to have a massive mechanical understanding.   They must learn it from somewhere, so..

How about a dwarven learning hall.  In this hall you can select what you would like your dwarfs to learn, such as mining or masonry or whatever, and whenever they are idle they will go here to learn.

Before they can learn though a dwarf who is skilled has to first raise the level of knowledge in the hall of learning.  In this way the hall is kinda like a dwarf.   The hall has a knowledge level that has been inscribed into the tablets and that knowledge can only come from someone experiencing it somewhere.
  So if someone wanted it to teach mining it would work something like this:
*assuming no place is designated for mining, as it would take priority*
1. User tells Hall of knowledge to teach mining.
2. Legendary Miner enters hall of knowledge and after about a season has brought the level of knowledge up to proficient.... then he dies to unicorn.
3. Some Unskilled peasants with mining tag on go here to learn
4. The peasants after a season or so now are proficient miners.
5. Since the building only has a proficient skill level, the peasants cannot learn more and now go on to parting and becoming friends with everyone in the fortress.. or whatever.

*Edit - This would also be a great place to have children go to keep them out of harms way and such... or to crush with a cave in.. up to you I suppose.

http://images.elfwood.com/art/k/r/kronenberg/dwarven_library.jpg
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:13:08 am by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Dwarven learning hall
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:30:29 am »

I would say that it's an intersting idea, but I'll add this:

Experienced dwarves must be assigned to the learning hall to tutor, and should not be able to train up dwaves to equal their knowledge - only halfish. This creates a tradeoff between labor and training. It also seems more realistic to me. No school exists without good instructors. And none of the skills dwarves use can be learned strictly from books; they have to learn from either experience or iby learning from their tutors.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 05:44:45 am »

I agree that no one can learn from books alone well least not how to do most dwarvenly things, but I kinda abstracted the workbenches and the crafting tables and the lock together design your own mechanism department.

I agree on the teacher part but the problem is getting both to the place at the same time, so... It was abstracted as well in order to increase utility and decrease frustration.  Besides some things can be stored in books...

http://www.cnc.me.uk/Step%20by%20step%20guide%20to%20building%20a%20gas%20fired%20furnace.html

A 1/2 teaching dwarf experience cap seams reasonable, would have to see if it really made much of a difference in gameplay though, the time to learn means no one is probably going to be getting legendary+5 dwarfs from their Hall of learning, and if they do they could have just did appropriate crafting and done it in far less time.

This is more or less just a place for dwarvenly busy work.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:59:52 am by profit »

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:23:15 am »

it sounds like a great idea, but i would require the "books" to be made out of stone so they could reduce the amount of stone that many of us seem to have a great problem with.....i would also make it so that dwarves could never become greater than a certain level....like a dwarf could never self-teach(read/learn) above some level but could not learn to become a legendary without ever stepping foot outside of the library....or learning hall....whatever you will call it...but i like library better.....

dont quote my ranks cause i dont remember what they are....

for example if a legendary Miner brought the info up to the libraries up to legendary status, then a peasant dwarf with no exp in mining could become a max of proficient....the extra levels that the library was brought to would speed the process up by (x) amount of exp per lv...
like if master comes after proficient then that would speed the process up by 10 percent and if a legendary(if legend comes after master) were to be the status then it would be a total of 20 percent.....(master 10%+ legendary 10%) thus increasing the learning speed.....

i would also limit the amount of skills that could be learnd from the library to keep things a little more simple....like i would incle the "core" jobs like mining, masonry, carpentry, cooking, and maybe things like mechanics or siege machine stuff.....but ones i wouldnt include would be ones like woodcutting(wood always comes from a tree no matter what the lv), engraving, fishing, fighting classes(warriors and hunters and such).....etc

but thats just my opinion, cause to me some jobs should be learnable while others are more of a handson expirence.....like for fighting stuff......how easy is it to learn judo in reality when you try to learn from a book......and have no way of training?

*edit* i would aslo make this structure quite large(maybe twice the size of the trade Depot at a max......sit two depots side by side for a max.....)

and use a LOT of stones, for benches, "book" shelves, tables, whatever......and make it need to have certain item requirements.....like (x) amounts of an object
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:28:00 am by Manchild »
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:34:29 am »

Yeah, the military already has an external training mechanism. I had no intentions of having this used as a replacement for an archery target. 

Civilian jobs only.

The stone requirement is a good idea as well. Perhaps using stone blocks instead of plain stone.  Would be also fun seeing the building destroyed and the ground covered with hundreds of stone tablets explaining what to look for in tracks in order to hunt better to how to track a vein in a mining operation.   They could then be stored or moved to another Hall of learning.

I still think of this as a place where people learn by doing though so, I don't know how bad it should be capped on experience people can get..  Its more of a dwarven practice hall as well as a library.  But once again, it would have to be looked at in gameplay.

* edit  I agree on the resource requirement and size as well.  It SHOULD be a big building, and it should require a lot of resources to build, so only established forts will likely build them.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:37:49 am by profit »

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 06:42:54 am »

though it would suck to have a lacking amount of resources when you want to make it.....say if you were struggling on a horrifying map with many aquifers and almost no stone.......

i was just saying that i thought of this building as more of a library, cause when you think about it.....where do you learn more(barring the archery range example), the Gym or the Library?

but hey.....if this is ever incorperated, then it could be a mix of many ideas.....

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 06:50:31 am »

Aquifers are broken IMO anyhow.. Most water tables seep water, they aren't a never ending river that torrents from the smallest penetration.

But yeah it would be hard to make it on a map like that... No matter, it's really an optional building.

And in my mind it's more of a university than a library, albeit small one.  It provides training equipment and knowledge storage at the same time while not being a place to store the collected dwarven sonnets on ale.

Could be but just was not the way I had quite envisioned it. 

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 06:55:15 am »

university? wow.....i just envisioned a dwarven version of the Greek Ampitheatre, where peoples like Plato and Democles and such people taught.....

then again....now that i think about it...even LOTR the dwarves were not known for a "library" per say......

there we go....call it the Ampitheatre.