Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which site should we use

Site 1: Military forts rock!
- 5 (21.7%)
Site 2: Dig deep!
- 11 (47.8%)
Site 3: Sprite form sprites? How can we resist?
- 6 (26.1%)
Not playing, just wanted to see the results
- 1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: New succession game: Ideas and sign up thread  (Read 1564 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
New succession game: Ideas and sign up thread
« on: December 24, 2008, 04:42:26 pm »

I've got a nice week off coming up, so I thought it'd be a nice time to try out a succession game. This one will be using my Civilization Forge mod and a nice large world I genned up.

I have three interesting sites that I'm considering using. Each would have a different storyline, and all three sound fun to me. So I figured I'd let whomever else wants to join the succession game vote on what they'd like best.

Site 1: At the Western edge of the kingdom, our forces constantly battle with the evil Violet Xelics. These sentient insectoids work tirelessly to enslave us, and the king has demanded a new outpost to shore up our defenses. A prime site has been found, with plentiful wood, water, and minerals. This will be a primarily military fort, with a focus on soldiers, defenses, and some metalworking to outfit them. A nearby chasm should provide plenty of fodder for a training arena, and perhaps some trainable creatures to aid in our defense.

Site 2: Tales from the Frost Giants of the southern wastes have led our team deep to the south. The King has heard tales of a land cursed by the demons that have been imprisoned within the stone. Our scouts reported traces of adamant where the Taiga met the tundra, and signs of a magma pipe. The king's orders: Build a mighty forge, dig deep and dig well. Our soldiers need weapons of unparalleled might to fight off the enemies that assail us.

Site 3: An ambitious alchemist has taken his followers off to a secluded wood of serenity and beauty. Finding sand, a magma pipe, and an aquifer, he has hatched a mad plan. To build a giant factory to produce the world's greatest beverage, distilled from the magical pixies of the land. Now all it needs is a name...Sprite, perhaps?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New succession game: Ideas and sign up thread
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 05:24:40 pm »

I'd say #2, I've been waiting for a new succession game to open for awhile. I would like to go second or third, doesn't matter to me.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

#2 sounds interesting to me.  Sign me up in any case.

Note: I've never used this mod before.  Anything I should know?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 06:05:41 pm »

#2 sounds interesting to me.  Sign me up in any case.

Note: I've never used this mod before.  Anything I should know?
Check the link in Meph's sig, though the whole game file will need to get passed on each time as opposed to only the save. I'ma gonna try to integrate the mayday pack in for my turn at least.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 10:06:43 pm »

I won't be able to start playing for a few days, so I'll keep the poll open until then. I'll probably start playing this weekend.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 11:54:26 pm »

I vote the second.  Never done anything with HFS or this mod though, so I'd be a newbie on both accounts.  Definitely not new to DF though, so I should learn quickly enough.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 10:49:14 am »

Go with 2 or 3, and sign me up as well.

I play CivForge a good bit, so I know how to deal with some of these.

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 08:46:05 pm »

Sign me up and go for the second one, although I will warn you that the only time I've seen hidden fun stuff, was from an old succession game where it wiped out 2/3rds of the fort.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 10:18:39 pm »

Sign me up!
I never used the mod but thats ok right? ::)

also number 1 or 2 are fine for me

just PM me when its my turn
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:20:34 pm by DF newb »
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 07:50:27 am »

I's like to give this a try aswell! :)

I Havent really managed huge forts before, but it should be fun.

Howmany years do we rotate turns? and what is the timescope in which we should complete our turn.

all suggestions sound great. my preference goes to #3

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 10:33:45 am »

I haven't played a succession in a while. Sign me up.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 11:20:21 am »

#3 and #2 both sound good (I voted for #2).

I'm interested in joining this one.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 06:30:20 pm »

Sign me up for a #2 or #3 as well, if there's still room!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 08:13:17 pm »

Ok, the new thread is up. Not much in it yet, but I've started my turn. I should be able to finish it and get everything up in the new thread tomorrow.

We're using option #2, since it seemed to be the one that everyone was fine with. And I haven't tackled HFS in a while.

Everyone will be added in the order that they replied in this thread. Userpay, you ok to start in the next few days if I get my turn finished tomorrow? I don't expect the first year to take long.
Come play Mafia with us!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 08:57:26 pm »

Ok, the new thread is up. Not much in it yet, but I've started my turn. I should be able to finish it and get everything up in the new thread tomorrow.

We're using option #2, since it seemed to be the one that everyone was fine with. And I haven't tackled HFS in a while.

Everyone will be added in the order that they replied in this thread. Userpay, you ok to start in the next few days if I get my turn finished tomorrow? I don't expect the first year to take long.
All right I'll be ready, I'll see if I can get the primary defenses set up when its my turn. I happen to like big courtyards to keep enemies from running  ;D