Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Treants?  (Read 1701 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
Treants?
« on: November 15, 2008, 11:11:54 am »

Ok we all know about the ghost raws in the Game. But has anyone actually modded them in yet. I haven't and i can't see any point.

Discuss
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Treants?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:24:44 am »

I modded them in as a race with wrestling only.  Makes for interesting adventurers, and they always wage war with the humans for some reason.

I had to remove the building destroyer tag, because treant eco-terrorsts were comming in and destroying all my constructions while disguised as merchants.  Its odd really, they go stright for the barracks, like their taunting me.  I would of locked them in but....you know, I couldnt keep a door there due to the fact that they killed everything they touched.

and there are other ghost entries in the raws >_>.  I mean, when is the last time you've seen a wizard?  Or an iron elementman?
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:41:05 pm »

Ironmen do show up in caves sometimes, though I haven't seen one since the 33* versions.  Maybe they're just rarer now.  I don't think wizards were ever meant to show up except in the abortive protoversions when Toady has some sort of placeholder magic in the game.

I think some creatures just have too picky biome requirements to show up.  I've never seen a strangler or foul blendec.  So I modded them to show up more often.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:44:05 pm »

I have never seen a strangler or a foul blendec either, but one of the things that I have done to my game is to make wizards back into a civilization. They fire magic charms from their bags and have some cool magic armor, as well as living in mountain halls.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 09:01:18 am »

I've seen a Foul Blendec once
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 09:09:28 am »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 02:34:03 pm »

I'd love to try adding Treants; anyone got working code for it?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 03:08:49 pm »

they attack me like wolves, 6 a time. its happened 3 times so far.

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 12:48:21 pm »

I have never seen a strangler or a foul blendec either, but one of the things that I have done to my game is to make wizards back into a civilization. They fire magic charms from their bags and have some cool magic armor, as well as living in mountain halls.

Shouldn't it make a little more sense to make them live in towers?

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 05:03:04 pm »

Half my mountain forts so far have seen them, only had 1 fall from it, though (kicked the miner off the one cliff before I'd gotten a single stone)

Turnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 08:21:32 pm »

I want to mod them in.
Do they look like trees?
As in do they keep the color if you make them a civ
And (because of various programming quirks) dwarves are kinda stupid. Granted, so are the other races. But still.
And yet these stupid dwarves are going to eventually make a nuclear weapon out of cheese and basalt.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 02:42:17 am »

Half my mountain forts so far have seen them, only had 1 fall from it, though (kicked the miner off the one cliff before I'd gotten a single stone)
THAT IS MADNESS!
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 04:15:02 am »

THAT IS REASONABLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!!!!! wait, was that it?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 04:17:34 am by Jackrabbit »

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 08:50:42 am »

I've had both stranglers and foul blendecs on  the same map once.  Between the two the stranglers are the worst, a pack of them killed 6 of my dwarves and several war dogs before one of the dwarves happened to run over one of my nests of cage traps that I set out just to capture some wild animals.

It was an awsome fort :D
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.