Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: quick fortification question...  (Read 1383 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
quick fortification question...
« on: November 22, 2008, 11:29:12 pm »

So, I'm planning on making a huge tower with fortifications on the side for my marksdwarves to shoot down onto the enemies as they approach. But I know that enemies can bypass a fortification's skill check if they're standing right next to it. So here's my dilemma... if an enemy (say a goblin) is standing one z-level below and one tile beside a fortification, does he bypass the skill check?

It would look like this...

+D_
    g+___

+  is fortification
D is dwarf
g is goblin
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: quick fortification question...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 11:39:42 pm »

Yes.  Best advice is to dig a channel between the kill zone and the wall, so the goblin can't stand outside the field of fire.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 07:36:53 pm »

Traps in front of fortifications, for peeping-gobs. Are they that stupid?
Make a cage trap in front of the fortification and let the goblin hold itself while you shoot? Or maybe use a crossbow trap and let them kill themselves trying to shoot at empty corridors?
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 07:42:32 pm »

okay, the channeling gets it. Good idea... I should have thought of that.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 07:59:41 pm »

I just had a fortification installed in my nobel's bedroom to the outside with his wife inside too, and I got 4 thieves in all of 4 seconds.

Peeping-toms?  :-*