Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aliens are among us! (sign up)  (Read 2892 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Aliens are among us! (sign up)
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:46:20 pm »

The game is played like this:
aliens either exist or not.
if aliens exist, about 3/4 of the players are shape-shifting aliens, the rest are humans.
if the aliens don't exist, all are humans.
(who is or isn't an alien will be assigned secretly through PM.)
The goal of the humans is to find out if aliens exist.
the goal of the aliens (should they exist) is to convince the humans that in fact they do not exist.
In order to find out who won, at the end of the game a vote will be taken. the votes of the aliens don't matter, only those of the humans.
There is no real scoring (yet), but it's presumed that:
a)humans win over the aliens if more than half guess correctly.
b)humans win more if more of them guessed that aliens exist.
c)if the aliens don't exist only those who think they don't exist, win (but b is still true, as this gives you an opportunity to laugh, and sell them poorly made alien visitation tapes).
the game begins next week  (on 16/02/09) and ends (with the vote) on 23/02/09 when all will be revealed.
players:
none yet.

P.S. I might not have access to Internet during this weekend, but I will be on through the games course.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:48:20 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aliens are among us! (sign up)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 04:19:50 pm »

So... how the hell are the humans meant to figure out whether or not they exist? Is it just guessing? Is this an existing game, or just a weird mafia spoof? Why would anyone say anything, without the threat of losing?

Long Live United Forenia!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:45:37 pm »

well yes, you could say it's a mafia spoof of sorts. but there's no lynching, or night, or secret kills.
as to what drives this game, I must admit I don't know- it's largely experimental. humans have nothing to lose by talking (although I must agree they don't have much to gain), and aliens win of they convince the humans. So I'm guessing it can work. we'll see.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 04:54:15 pm »

So your expecting mayhaps that at least some of the 3/4s of people who are aliens to deny their own existence?Because I'm not seeing any other way the humies will win.

I insist you make it 1/4th of players to give some sense of gameplay to this thing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:55:59 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 05:06:09 pm »

I was secretly hoping for something akin to The Impostor (I think that was the name of the movie) when I saw the name of the game. Basically, there are people in the town/city/country. Everyone thinks they are human. But actually they're not. Not all anyway. Some are alien clones, with another person set as their target.

I know of no game with such rules, but if someone could follow it up with a decent playable system (it must include the clones killing themselves trying to kill the target, one human who knows of the aliens existence and can take action to try and identify them, and maybe something else to spice things up), it would probably be worth it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 05:21:04 pm »

I heard of this game call before, called Conspiracy. The goal of those in the Conspiracy is to convince those who are outside the Conspiracy that the Conspiracy does not exist.

I'm interested in this.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 05:52:11 pm »

called Conspiracy.
it's based on that. to those who think 1/4 is too little, consider that conspiracy calls for there being only one non-conspirator ("human"). also I pointedly avoided it being an equal chance of the conspiracy existing or not. as it used to make strong statistical sense to say that it didn't exist.