Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting events in your fort's history.  (Read 771 times)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Interesting events in your fort's history.
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:15:14 am »

This thread would be the catch-all for those fun little things that happen in your fort, but don't quite fit into the various other 'post your most X Ys' threads around here...

To start things off, in my current fort I had some need for assigned door guards. Given that I'd recently gone on a kick making the various temples for each fortress deity, I decided to make a declared Guardian for each deity, and have them stand post in turns.

First up came the Guardian of Lal, Lord of Fortresses. He did his duty, taking care of a few kobolds and even helping dispatch an ambush. His day came in a rather sad twist of fate. I'd decided that the new ambush was a bit much for him to handle, and ordered his retreat and the priming of the fortress defense mechanisim, consisting of a dump into the plumbing intake, a fairly far drop, and a landing on a grate strainer with no access which would later be turned into an item retreival system. Lal's Guardian happened to be particularly agile, so he ran out of the ambush's range without much trouble... However, his luck ran out, as I realized, a few seconds before it was very graphically demonstrated, I had hit the 'emergency fire' lever instead (how I'm not entirely sure). Lal's Guardian was promptly shot off the bridge by a jet of high pressure water, hitting the wall and plunging halfway down the regular plumbing line before being caught between a mechanisim and a screw pump, and drowning.

There were special burial chambers for those dying in the Guardianal Service, but due to the ironic nature of his demise, I reasoned that Lal had been displeased with his Guardian, and decided his body could rot in the ducts.

In his stead, I promoted the Guardian of Kun, deity of nature and the rain. Kun had a much bloodier history, as I'd decided to try and avoid any more mechanical errors by having the Guardian's duty extend to holding the gate. This went quite well for some time. One fateful month, I had ordered the line of windmills along the road to the gates removed, as part of a massive overhaul of the waterworks below. Predictably, there was combat, and the Guardian of Kun joined the on-call marksdwarves in defending the workers. The battle itself was not particularly notable, and I spent some time afterward directing the placement of the second waterworks before receiving the message that Kun's Guardian had died of dehydration. Zooming to the corpse, I saw that she had dodged into a pit... Coincidentally, the rain collection pit. Seeing another omen of displeasure, it was only by virtue of her outstanding military performance that she was given the honor of a standard coffin in the catacombs.

Now, the Guardian of Vanel, Lord of Law and Balance, holds the post of watchdwarf, mostly by virtue of being likely to last at least until the Hammerer shows up... And in the future, I'll remember to check if the applicant is properly feverent, as opposed to the dubious and casual worshippers chosen for their combat ability... Somehow, combat never claims a Guardian.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting events in your fort's history.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:28:15 am »

My most notable event is all the rage with the engravers. 19 years ago in the fort, two people died due to some glitch/bug that caused everyone to ignore the plants in my farms and never ever carry them to the food pile. Two recruits had been injured in an ambush and it was their feeding time right around the occurence of this. So, they died naturally, because I'd rather my just-as-hungry legendary artifact-maker woodcutter survive instead of some brain dead potato-dwarf. 19 years later, they still get pissed at me about that, when they were the ones that refused to move the crap.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:51:27 am »

I get tired of tellin' this one, but...

A few fortresses ago, the legend known as Kib Thunderfist the Regenerating was born.

He was a simple recruit, a bit of wrestling and a little sword practice. During the ambush, however, his sword was quickly lost. Two Goblin wrestlers were on him, and one had summarily shattered his right hip. Prone, weighted down and unarmed, his prospects looked grim.

And then a Goblin flew twenty-five tiles at an impossible speed. So was born Kib Thunderfist.

But no, the tale doesn't end there. After this, he broke the other goblin in a multitude of new and creative ways, and proceeded to limp southward not to his bed, but to chase more enemies - truly a dedicated soldier. The enemies escaped, however, and so he limped back to the fort...

But mid-step, his limping ceased and he marched off at a completely normal speed. His shattered hip had healed completely.

And so was born Kib Thunderfist the Regenerating.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 01:44:51 am »

I have the makings for a huge obsidian monolith.  The top of it is a 40x70 area of retracting bridges.

Well, I get everything to work where the bridges all have support without getting the way of the important business of dropping water onto magma.  Unfortunately, I have a bug where when the bridges un-retract, the game crashes.

Luckily, I have a backup, so I'm playing around with this trying to figure out how I can prevent it, because, it's *cool*.

Well, I finally figure, "Screw it.  Just deconstruct all the bridges and try to recreate them and see if that fixes it."

So I go through the 28 10x10 bridges and mark each one for removal.  Obediently, 28 of my 71 dwarves (pop cap) climb the 22 z-levels to the top of the tower and begin deconstructing the bridges. 

Since the dwarves seem to want to deconstruct a bridge by standing just above its northwest corner, 21 of the 28 dwarves end up doing so from a position where they are standing on one of the other bridges.

Hilarity ensues.  I didn't think to screencap it right away, but I did get an aftermath picture that still shows quite a lot of the bodies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm still tinkering with the bridges, but this has become the "canonical" version of my fort now...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:46:57 am by Magua »
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 02:25:44 am »

Link's broken Magua, and after that story, man do I want to find out what it looks like. And the tantrum spiral right afterward, ooooh maaaan, that'd make my starvation/ Catsplosion Reprisal tantrum spiral look like nothing I'd bet.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Gauphastus

• Bay Watcher
  • y hello der
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 04:48:59 am »

Breached HFS for the first time ever in my last fort. One miner did it by himself.
He was a mason too so I had him try walling the area off. Instead, he leaves to go mine somewhere else.
So I go everywhere else in the fort and cancel all those mining operations hoping he'll go wall in that breach.

Zounds! Creatures from the deep. Or whatever it says.
A demon starts charging down my mine shaft for the stairs that lead to another long shaft shooting off from my main fort area.
Meanwhile, the miner is heading back to patch up that wall. He gets a couple fireballs tossed his way and starts running the hell away.
"Screw it. He's as good as dead." I see the demon slowly catching up to him as I move the camera up to the main area; I designate some walls to be built to block off the whole shaft.

They were taking way too long to build this thing and I thought for sure I was ruined, but apparently the wall didn't matter anyway.
I zoom back down to where I last saw the demon catching up to the miner. Demon corpse there.
"What?"
I check the miner's kills. This joe-nobody miner killed a demon with nothing more than a copper pick, and in what must have been one good swing. I hadn't taken my eyes of him for more than two seconds.
Meanwhile the guy is gleefully patching up the HFS breach downstairs.

Man.
Balls of steel.