Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fluid Dynamics - Water behaving like Magma  (Read 1134 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fluid Dynamics - Water behaving like Magma
« on: November 16, 2008, 09:58:06 pm »

I just found out that Magma is not the only thing that will not flow upward....

Water will also react like magma if it comes form a naturally regenerating pond.  In fact, I assume that liquids that come from a naturally regenerating source behave this way.

I just dug out a room at the same level as a natural pond.  I then dug a ramp down and under this pond and dug a ramp up into the pond.  Normally, I'd assume that the room would fill up with water, but it didn't.  It behaved like Lava would and stayed in the channel I dug under the pond.  I can only assume that liquid coming from a regenerative source like magma and pond water has a negative pressure.  I also assume that it's equilibrium pressure is the very bottom layer.  I have not tested this.

Code: [Select]
side view:
__          _     __
XXWWWWWWWWWWX   __XX
XXXXXXXXX\WWWWW/XXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fluid Dynamics - Water behaving like Magma
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:36:53 pm »

It'll only flow up if the tiles in the pond are all [7/7] (eg, the water's on the left), because its "easier" to spread out locally before going around u bends.

However, for ponds, i guess that once they reach [7/7], the rain doesn't collect in them anymore (eg, on the z level above) so the water never gets above a [7/7] and never flows around the u bend.
Magma is overrated.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 12:07:59 am »

I'd agree with Pete.  The real test would be if you made the ubend two levels deep.

Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:26:14 am »

I'm waiting on the pond to fill up.  I've only had one rain since I did that.  Didn't even think about the pond level factor.  If it hits 7/7 without flooding the secondary room, I'll attempt the two level U-bend
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 12:37:02 am »

Perversely, the game only checks for pressure-related things if something changes. It comes up when people have floodgates after ubends, and they fill while closed. If the floodgate is then opened and the water is static on the other side, it won't bubble up.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:17:19 am »

I wonder if DF will ever consider air pockets in the future. I mean, it could be relatively simple to implement, I think. Just make it so that, if the area it COULD flow into doesn't reach the outside, then the water behaves like magma.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:26:53 am »