Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marlowe not prone to logical thinking.  (Read 1087 times)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marlowe not prone to logical thinking.
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:22:43 am »

I've started a little challenge game to keep myself amused when I'm not playing Fogcrystal. The rules are:

1, starting area must have aquifer, magma, and usable sand.

2, No serene, mirthful, calm. (I wanted something evil, but no such area met the requirements above, so I had to settle for wilderness).

3, No rock mining except for obsidian. It is permissible to dig through something else to get to the obsidian, but all such stones created must be forbidden and any items made out of them must be dumped. Understand? No rock except obsidian. No rooms in rock that aren't obsidian.

4, You may bring 20 stones of any rock type to do initial construction. I bought Olivine.

5, No metal weapons, other than ammunition, to be made. Captured weapons or those obtained through trade are fair.

6, Other items (armour, well-chains) may be built out of any metal you may optain through trade, capture, or other non-mining methods. Captured armour may be melted down. You may trade for metal armour or metal anything else.

7, Everything that doesn't have to be metal to be built out of your starting stone, obsidian, wood, or glass (soap is permissible). Needless to say, bone, shell, and leather may be used for armour, weapons, or ammunition as applicable.

I'm through till first autumn. Getting the glass furnaces set up took a few false starts, as I kept channeling into the aquifer and causing a burst of steam when the magma hit it, but I eventually found a way through, and am spamming green glass production to make tables, chairs, doors, and walls. I'm going to turn the channel I made into the aquifer into my well source when I can get a chain (which will probably mean getting an anvil first).

The dwarven caravan was a complete wash because of some trees in the way of the trade depot, so they turned up on camels and we couldn't trade our obsidian mechanisms. We ultimately traded a few obsidian crafts for a barrel of booze. We could have afforded more, but they couldn't carry it away. We still got migrants.

Sound interesting?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marlowe not prone to logical thinking.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:14:52 pm »

7, Everything that doesn't have to be metal to be built out of your starting stone, obsidian, wood, or glass (soap is expected). Needless to say, bone, shell, and leather may be used for armour, weapons, or ammunition as applicable.

fix'd that for you.

i have a question though, why is obsidian the only permitted stone? i know its useful for making swords as well as being used for all other stone things, but isn't their craploads of obsidian if you pick the right place? i mean, i'm playing a map where their is several z-layers of obsidian, and the actual amount of it must measure into the tens of thousands.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 12:35:29 pm »

This is a self-imposed challenge.

Pick the wrong place.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:23:53 pm »

That is true. Only those areas seem to be disinclined to have aquifers.

Obsidian is permitted because there needs to be a source of mechanisms, because those swords are funky, and because you'll probably have to cut through it to get to the magma in the first place.

Yes, there are areas with actual obsidian Z-levels. Let's just say I forgot that when writing up the challenge. Let's just say that starting in such a place is not really keeping to the spirit of things.

Turnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:59:57 am »

What if your just scrounging around in "not giving a fuck about what is in the layers, I just want sand and a volcano" mode?
I once did that.
whole fucking layer of obsidian
was kinda funny.
And (because of various programming quirks) dwarves are kinda stupid. Granted, so are the other races. But still.
And yet these stupid dwarves are going to eventually make a nuclear weapon out of cheese and basalt.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 08:20:32 am »

Big deal. So have I. But then you're not involved in the challenge. Simple.