Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newb Weapon question  (Read 868 times)

chosenofragnarok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newb Weapon question
« on: November 13, 2008, 11:06:44 pm »

So i modded in some more weapons for my dwarves... Mainly just gave them more of a selection... However when i go into the military screen i can't see them in my weapons list...

Am i missing something?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Newb Weapon question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:12:13 pm »

The weapon selection in the military screen actually refers to weapon skills, not specific weapons.  So, when you set a soldier to use swords, he will use any weapon that uses the Sword skill (as long as he's big enough to wield it), including short swords and long swords.  Likewise, a dwarf set to use maces may use a basic mace, but can also use flails and morningstars.  So just make sure your custom weapons use one of the skills in the military screen.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Weapon#Weapon_statistics
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:18:59 pm by Footkerchief »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:15:32 pm »

Fraid the weapon types dwarves can use are currently hardcoded.  Dwarves can use crossbows, but not bows, they can use spears but not pikes, that sorta thing.  Even if allowed to use those special weapons in their entity defs they will only use them in worldgen and adventure mode, not fortress mode.

As long as the skill used matches one of the types that the interface allows you to set, they can use it.  But if not there is no way because you have no way to tell them to pick it up.

P.S. currently in order to tell a fortresser to pick up a 2 handed weapon they need to be set to wield 2 weapons.  Because they'll get stuck in a loop of trying to wield the weapon 1 handed and dropping it, then grabbing it again.  When set to wield 2 weapons they'll realize the weapon is supposed to be wielded 2 handed and consider it 2 weapons in one.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:20:58 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:26:31 pm »

Fraid the weapon types dwarves can use are currently hardcoded.  Dwarves can use crossbows, but not bows, they can use spears but not pikes, that sorta thing.  Even if allowed to use those special weapons in their entity defs they will only use them in worldgen and adventure mode, not fortress mode.

Actually, I'm quite sure a dwarf (or anything else for that matter) can use anything in adventure mode, and gain some skill with it...course that flint rock is only going to increase unarmed combat, but it's better than nothing.

chosenofragnarok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 11:27:51 pm »

so let me get this strait if i allow dwarves to use scemitars in there entity file thing...
and i set them to swords in the militery screen they have an equal chance of picking up a
longsword shortsword or a scemitar?

I was specificaly looking at dwarf mode btw

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 11:47:19 pm »

Basically yea.  

If they grab the wrong thing though you can designate a safe dumping zone that won't destroy the item. Then if the dwarf grabs the wrong weapon you can just designate the weapon for dumping and some other dwarf will come and tear it out of their grip and yer swordsdwarf will go grab another sword.  That's the method I use to switch them from dual silver shortswords to their steel greatswords once the training is complete.

Once he grabs what you want him to grab reclaim the swords from the garbage dump.

@ EuchreJack that makes sence, there isn't really anything keeping you from using anything as a weapon.  But I never really got a chance to test fully.  When my sword gets stuck in the spider's leg I usually didn't live long enough to pull out the large serrated disk and use it in melee to note skillgain.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:55:30 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 10:34:56 am »

dwarves can use bows!

...if you add
Code: [Select]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BOW][AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS]to the entity raws. easyer if you copy and paste it from the elves.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 11:06:46 am »

Yes, but you can't tell them to use bow in the military screen of fortress mode, which is what the thread is about.  ::)

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 05:28:58 pm »

For some reason, my humans set to using 'cbrw' in the weapon selection will grab any free bows, in addition to their arbalest crossbow weapons, and there is nothing fancy changed in the weapon RAW files. It might be due to their size being higher?
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

chosenofragnarok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 09:20:56 pm »

dwarves can use bows!

...if you add
Code: [Select]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BOW][AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS]to the entity raws. easyer if you copy and paste it from the elves.

How would you get them to pick it up and use it in fortress mode?

Yngar the Wise

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 09:51:10 pm »

You could always just mod a bow and give it the tag for a crossbow so it will count as a crossbow.