Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bolts, the use of said bolts and the amount therein.  (Read 1096 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bolts, the use of said bolts and the amount therein.
« on: November 14, 2008, 06:15:41 am »

Got past the title? good. I have a problem. I just watched my legendary marksdwarf loose an entire quiver in all of 5 seconds. By the time the second hit the goblin it was clear it wasn't coming out for another round, it being hard to do so with no head. So my problem is this

• Stop firing when the enemy gains a mortal wound. - You hit him in the chest dude. Twice. stop shooting him now. Your scaring me.
  • Champions fire at an astounding rate. We all know that and from what I have seen, accepted that. However, It negates the effect of a legendary champion if all he can kill is one goblin after loosing enough bolts to put Van Helsing to shame. They should fire a maximum of five bolts at one enemy and should be clever enough to move on when they tear of a limb.

Why should my trained marksdwarf have only 3 kills to his name after 5 sieges? Why does Urist McCrapshoot have 8? Granted, they were chained up and unmoving but thats beside the point. Champions should not waste so many bolts on one guy and others should not continue shooting after the enemy acquires a wound it would obviously not recover from.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bolts, the use of said bolts and the amount therein.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 11:10:44 am »

good archers firing ballistically can have 2-3 shots in the air before the first lands...  Not that we're dealing with ballistic shots...

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 11:18:13 am »

good archers firing ballistically can have 2-3 shots in the air before the first lands...  Not that we're dealing with ballistic shots...

Yeah, crossbows are much slower :)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:18:33 am »

For the purposes of relative sanity and reducing the (arguably) overpowered nature of crossbows as they currently stand, I would be in favor of reducing crossbow firing rates to a reasonable level.

I suspect that with the greater army controls Toady's currently working on, "ignore the wounded/crippled" will be a toggle option.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!