Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How much do you care about rock types?  (Read 5294 times)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How much do you care about rock types?
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2008, 07:55:25 am »

im a sucker for microline nearly everything in my fort is made out of microline,my mega projects too.

also i hate siltstone. >:(
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2008, 08:11:23 am »

i like microcline too, it seems way brighter and more cheerful than the other colors.

any mo' dissin' on my microcline and i'll start a microcline fanclub.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2008, 11:51:26 am »

Microcline's ugly!  ;D

Cobaltite is nice, olivine I never even encountered, puddingstone just makes me hungry, and the Grand Prize for the ugliest color goes to petrified wood...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2008, 05:06:44 pm »

I like microcline :'(

On a related note, in my current fort I built a (so far) 3 z-level tower that, while not high by any means, is very large in surface area.  The ground level is just the access stairways (walled off to keep gobbos out, of course), and the top floor is a ridiculously massive platform made of green glass that I use as a meeting area to prevent cave adaptation.  The point of this story, however, is the middle z-level.  There's a straight, 5-wide hallway connecting the stairway tunnels, and on each side of the hallway, there's four "pods" with sixteen 3x1 bedrooms each that are reserved for my champions...and each pod is a different color.

One pod is white (alunite and quartzite), one is gray (rhyolite , mica, and a little flint), one is dark red (kaolinite), one is yellow (orthoclase), one is bright red (cinnabar), one is blue (cobaltite), and one is teal (microcline).  The last one is brown, but I had to cheat and use wood instead of stone blocks because there's no brown stone on the map and I can't request any due to the dwarf liason being dead :(
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

My first good fortress had its commons (dining rooms, economy shops, etc.) carved into a big ass microcline cluster.  To this day, shops still look wrong to me if they're not bright turquoise.

Fox-Of-Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2008, 07:47:25 pm »

I'm happy as long as my fort is all of one color type. For this reason, I tend to build above ground. A major pain is that lighter stones going into darker stones looks like shadows, but I know it's all darkness anyways. Even if rewalling underground fortresses still allows us to see the multicolored stones lingering, I'm happy with it. Atleast my dwarfies won't have the terrors of seeing multiple wall-types. Or feeling them, since it's still pitch black.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2008, 08:05:43 pm »

I like the color of cobaltite (cobalt got it's name from "kobold"), and I sometimes spend my extra embark-points on some. My current fort's sheriff has a cobaltite statue and table in this office. I thought the blue color was rather fitting.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 12:56:13 am »

See, now, I like Microcline for its blue-ness.  And Olivine for its green-ness.

A kindred spirit! also, the color-coded bedroom guy wins an internet. I love microcline, olivine, cinnabar, cobaltite, and that funky blue stuff that's not cobaltite. My useful-rock stockpile is pretty much just those, rare metal ores, and obsidian. Glass is used pretty extensively for construction.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 05:20:57 am »

I am also crazy about all of a particular furniture matching the same rock type. I want all those felsite to become tables, leave the alunite for block construction and mechanisms, and save the bits of cinnibar to export poisonous mugs to the elves!

Of course, once I set up my obsidian farm, all of the old furniture gets ripped out, replaced, and exported to the motherland!

I go nuts about forbidding and quantum stockpiling all my stone types, and will import cool types just to make blocks out of it to build a small mosaic or pattern, also for color coded levers/furniture/bridges. I also refloor/rewall exposed soil in soil layers, to give it that nice, developed look.

I don't care much about real world properties of the stones. I'd say the dwarves can have whatever masterful, magical masonry abilities to build talc bridges, while the elves can have their humane wood harvesting.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2008, 02:14:00 am »

I've never done mosiacs, since I rather get the happy thoughts from a masterwork engraving instead. Maybe I should look into it....

Also, I think the stone I hate the most: Schist. It looks AND sounds like sh*t.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2008, 02:51:18 pm »

I love microcline. Blue is my favorite color. And Olivine is awesome as well; even more so when I looked it up on Wikipedia and realized that it really IS that brightly colored green. How can anybody hate on the shiny? That red stone is quite nice too- kalonite.

Besides that, I'm rather amused at how psychedelic my forts are.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 03:01:59 pm »

I amuse myself by making orthoclase block roads...
I usually end up building them from sylvite.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 07:07:16 pm »

I like to play in spots with gabbro just for the olivine and kimberlite. I enjoy the darker green and blue colors in my fort. Bauxite and kaolinite do make ok subsitutes with their deep red though.
Pages: 1 2 [3]