Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a little problem...  (Read 996 times)

Boogerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have a little problem...
« on: November 12, 2008, 01:11:34 pm »

Usually, when the dwarven caravan shows up, some goblin ambushers show up as well.
These goblin ambushers proceed to scare off the merchants, long before I can get my military out there.

What could I do to stop this happening?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: I have a little problem...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 01:18:04 pm »

Well, you could line the entire edge of the map with traps.  That should do it.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 01:26:18 pm »

Build rock pillars 2 tiles apart along a 3 tile wide road all the way to the edge of the map.  Once you can't build them anymore, build bridges right by the edge of the map so they can be raised into walls right up to the edge of the map.  Then, station some of your military in a tower right next to the only accessible chunk of land.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 05:25:49 pm »

Ambushers do not "appear" out of thin air, but instead are invisible.  At the beginning of autumn, you could send your military out in a sweep to trigger them before the caravan arrives.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 06:28:13 pm »

Ambushers appear on the edge of the map, often at the same time as arriving caravans.  If, however, caravans can only appear in one spot, then it is trivial to guard that spot against ambushers killing the caravan.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 10:30:52 pm »

the easiest solution? dig a channel. dig a perimter channel, limit the places wagons can appear, and force the wagons down ramps and through a tunnel. fill tunnel with traps. add traps at any point that allows entry past the channel (you should have a way in every dozen spaces or so, for migrants, diplomats, ect).