Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Stones and Ores  (Read 4139 times)

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding Stones and Ores
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:34:43 am »

Can I make an Ore into a layer stone? Can I make the various Coal stones layers? Finally, I assume the recycling inefficiency is hard-coded? Getting back 10% or so out of iron or steel is ridiculous, you'd have to work hard to LOSE that much.

I am getting sick of finding interesting sites only to discover I can't have Steel....

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Modding Stones and Ores
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 06:47:35 am »

If you want to simply have enough steel and fuel for crafting, I suggest modding relevant reactions to output more than default 1 bar

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BITUMINOUS_COAL_TO_COKE]
[NAME:make coke from bituminous coal]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:COAL_BITUMINOUS]
[PRODUCT:100:[b]250[/b]:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE]
[FUEL]

This will give you 250 units of fuel per one bituminous coal.

Do something similar for steel:

[REACTION:STEEL_MAKING]
[NAME:make steel bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PIG_IRON]
[REAGENT:1:REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:[b]250[/b]:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[FUEL]

Again 250 steel bars per reaction.

This is enough to get enough steel for anything you want even with raw materials only from caravans and does not require world regen.

Warning: do not queue these on repeat. You can easily kill your FPS with these cheats.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 07:21:28 am »

Plus goblins will trade you iron in exchange for your military and/or traps.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 09:08:48 am »

If you want to simply have enough steel and fuel for crafting, I suggest modding relevant reactions to output more than default 1 bar

[REACTION:BITUMINOUS_COAL_TO_COKE]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:COAL_BITUMINOUS]
[PRODUCT:100:[b]250[/b]:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE]
[FUEL]

This will give you 250 units of fuel per one bituminous coal.

Do something similar for steel:

[REACTION:STEEL_MAKING]
[NAME:make steel bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PIG_IRON]
[REAGENT:1:REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:[b]250[/b]:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[FUEL]

Again 250 steel bars per reaction.

This is enough to get enough steel for anything you want even with raw materials only from caravans and does not require world regen.

Warning: do not queue these on repeat. You can easily kill your FPS with these cheats.

Just a note; you might want to remove the forum bold coding from those reactions before you put them into DF ;)

[b] and [/b]

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:31:28 am »

Not only can you make bituminous coal and magnetite layers, you can also embark wherever you want and then change whatever layers you find into coal and metal ore. Simply add the appropriate tag to the layer stone's entry and go to town. Just keep in mind that even with a mountain of coal, you still need one piece of fuel (or the cure to all ills: a little magma) to start the whole process.

EDIT: Also, if you're willing to cheat this much, consider simply removing the REAGENT and FUEL tags from the steel reaction. That way you can just order up however many bars you want with the manager and not have to micromanage it.

EDIT PARTY: And yes, the recycling is hard-coded. I like to assume that for all the amazing dwarven engineering that goes on, they're just idiot savants and go all cross-eyed when they have to handle finished goods instead of nice rocks and bars. This also explains why it takes so much longer to tear down a wall than it does to build it in the first place (and no, I don't care about the real reason being that they can't speed up the teardown with a high masonry skill, my way is funnier).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:35:56 am by Zaranthan »
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 02:45:09 pm »

Took the liberty to add as well some more iron, if wanted ;-)
There you go:

matgloss_stone_layer.txt
[MATGLOSS_STONE:TACONITE]
[NAME:Taconite][COLOR:7:0:1][TILE:'~']
[SEDIMENTARY]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:IRON:65]
[SOLID_DENSITY:5046]
[VALUE:4]

[MATGLOSS_STONE:COAL_BROWN]
[NAME:brown coal][COLOR:6:6:0][TILE:15]
[SEDIMENTARY]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:15]
[SPEC_HEAT:409]
[IGNITE_POINT:11440]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:16708]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1346]
reaction_standard.txt
[REACTION:BROWNCOAL_COAL_TO_COKE]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:COAL_BROWN]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE]
[FUEL]

Though I did never test if it works... so the color might be screwed up... And it might not work as excpected (TACONITE should only give in 65% of all tries a bar of iron, due to: If you have it, you have it in abundance, so it balances it a tiny bit with eating away all coal)
Military and Militia. It's horrible

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 01:19:29 am »

Lignite is already brown coal though.

Just saying.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:12:17 am »

Though I did never test if it works... so the color might be screwed up... And it might not work as excpected (TACONITE should only give in 65% of all tries a bar of iron, due to: If you have it, you have it in abundance, so it balances it a tiny bit with eating away all coal)
Looks good aside from two things:
1. The new coke reaction needing a different NAME: tag to separate it from the bituminous coal reaction (you'll see two entries for "make coke from bituminous coal" in game).
2. The percentage isn't a chance, it's a linear reduction. Each smelted taconite will produce 0.65 iron bar, which will collect invisibly in the smelter. When the invisible counter is >= 1, an actual bar will be produced. Thus, for every 100 taconite ore you smelt (in the same smelter), you'll produce exactly 65 iron bars.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 12:54:10 pm »

Thanks for the information Zaranthan :)

Someone maybe knows if you can mix Layer & Vein?
So you can have [IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE] Layer and some [ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100] ?

@ ungulateman: Duh, stupid me xD
Military and Militia. It's horrible

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 01:56:52 am »

I did in fact go ahead and mod the reactions to double all outputs, I might make it more extreme. I still want to be playing DF rather than Iron Fall From Sky, I just am sick to tears of getting a nice fort going and basically never having a steel industry. Especially since Iron and especially brown coal shouldn't be hard to find in massive quantities if you can find them at all. In fact, I will be making Lignite a layer stone if I can.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 07:42:10 am »

The Dig Deeper mod makes coal much much more common. The extra challenge is a problem, but check some raws and you'll see that coal has been added to most layers.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 05:20:04 pm »

(modding)
Don't you need a tag for the cluster size too? :-\
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.