Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Underwater base - IDEA  (Read 2716 times)

Mattex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater base - IDEA
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 05:20:54 pm »

I've been setting up my fort to do this crazy idea, but it seems i cant build Walls any closer than 5 tiles from the edge of map.

Is there any way to build a "water-stopping" device, no matter how silly it would be?

Raised drawbeidges, my friend. Raised drawbridges. Although the raised section needs to be on a floor, so anything above z-1 would need to be on top of a floor.
sounds good, are you able to give some kind of drawing or some such as to which way the bridges should go?
so far i have this:
(Edge)
(5 tiles)
         <- What do i put here to make the bridges work?
|.....|
|.....|

| = wall
. = Constructed floor

Sorry for the bother, this would be the first time i've used a bridge, and i dont want to flood my base with the world  :-X

EDIT: If you want to be extremely Dwarven, you could also do this under"water" base with MAGMA.
its basically the same deal, seal off then pump magma up to the top z level (via a constructed well if need be).

You could also make it flow inside your base (AKA heat pipes) for warmth and stuff.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 07:01:33 pm by Mattex »
Quote from: Mattex
God i hated him. He burned, burned like those elven traders. "Hows THAT for magma-safe!"
Mattex McGamer Cancels Life: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Mattex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater base - IDEA
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 02:33:12 am »

(sorry for the double post, didn't want to post this part with the one above, as there separate things)

So, operation "Flood the whole world" has been setup and pretty much the only thing left to do is to seal my fort air-tight.

I also had an accident, i read up on the wiki that a waterwheel can power a pump for auto-pumping (which is exactly what i wanted).
What i didnt realize is that it starts STRAIGHT AWAY, so its pumping out the water to start the world-flood, im sitting here going "oh crap oh crap" - the lucky thing was it was winter....BAM! the water froze, saved my life.

Im using a map that was posted somewhere (trying to find it now. ill edit when i do) its the one that freezes in 3 parts. EDIT -Found it

So, i have a video of the result of my accident and progression so far if anyone wants to see it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:37:17 am by Mattex »
Quote from: Mattex
God i hated him. He burned, burned like those elven traders. "Hows THAT for magma-safe!"
Mattex McGamer Cancels Life: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 [2]