Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lag  (Read 1148 times)

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lag
« on: November 13, 2008, 05:31:41 pm »

What is the best way to get rid of lag while removing the least important parts of the game?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lag
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 05:45:13 pm »

Pathfinding seems to be the most common problem so lots of dwarves = more lag
Map size, Temperature & weather affects.
Moving water & magma.
Large work designations is a sinker but temporary.
I guess having a lot of stuff stored that the game have to track matters but i am not sure. atleast my old forts tend to slow down with time and i tend to have a pop limit.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 06:13:49 pm »

Disabling weather, temperature and cave ins gives me quite a noticable FPS boost.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

asrz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:14:40 pm »

Hey Yaddy its me

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 06:18:44 pm »

its me too.

i usually kill off my animals...(i kept about 20 exotics in this fort. kill the children to keep pop low). but the biggest is flowing water. if you need to use water for any constructions, build a resevoir, and suffer for as long as it takes to fill it. then recycle. of course even that may not do it. i cannot use my waterfall currently, until i kill off about 60 dwarves.
-Toast-_

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 07:44:42 pm »

Hello asrz and thank you I will dam my river now.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 10:09:26 pm »

Hello asrz and thank you I will dam my river now.

Usually the process of trying to dam the river causes more lag then just letting it flow... at least in my old fortress.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 10:15:12 pm »

Usually the process of trying to dam the river causes more lag then just letting it flow... at least in my old fortress.

Right - you're replacing a stable 7/7 flow (which the flow system is optimized for) with half the river slowly draining off the edge of the map - leave the river alone.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:35:19 pm »

Right - you're replacing a stable 7/7 flow (which the flow system is optimized for) with half the river slowly draining off the edge of the map - leave the river alone.

I'd think damming it as close to the entrance of the map as possible would decrease the amount of stuff the game's tracking. Slowdown while it's draining, but after that it should be fine.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 08:44:57 am »

Yaddy, just a note: When economy is "unlocked", never make coins. If you have lag, coins will make it even worse. [..it won't cause lagging related problems after item stacking will be fixed.  :)]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 08:48:11 am by Tormy »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 08:53:52 pm »

Mucking about with the partial print init option helps a lot.

As long as we're on the subject of the init.txt file, increasing priority and lowering the GFPS to about 8 or 10 also helps.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kohana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 09:45:24 pm »

increasing priority

Increasing the app priority makes the application get a larger percentage of CPU processing time over the other processes.  If this has a noticeable effect that means you have other apps which are trying to use more of the CPU but aren't.  If you don't need them running then you'll get a larger boost simply shutting them down and if you do need them you probably shouldn't be dragging their execution to a near halt by raising the app priority of a CPU hungry app.  Not to mention if you set it too high and it locks up you'll have a lot of fun trying to run the task manager to shut it down.  Best to leave alone the app priority(or even drop it) and get rid of other things taking up a CPU time slice manually.

That however mainly applies to a single CPU/core environment.  If on the other hand you have several CPUs/cores then bump the priority up and hope the OS you're using is smart enough not to place other processes on that core with it.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 11:07:54 am »

don't worry... (I never make coins) also I've already maximised the efficency of the init and fixed the problem. thank you!