Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metal Plating - constructed wood -  (Read 1742 times)

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
Metal Plating - constructed wood -
« on: November 02, 2008, 03:25:55 pm »

I am attempting to get rid around one of the most common problems without 'cheating' too much; wood shortage.

While I don't have a wood shortage on my current map with a nice dense forest outside, I want an alternative. I came up with an alternative; metal plating.
Spoiler: wood matgloss (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: reaction (click to show/hide)

My problem is that there is no reaction available in my smelter for the copper plating (I currently have in excess of 80 copper bars) and I assume the same will be true when I get some iron and steel production going. So what am I doing wrong?

I'm not putting biome or density tags on the wood entries, because I believe that will cause some weird things to happen (Iron plated trees anyone?), so I highly doubt that this is the cause of the problem.

Also, what is the correct way to assign a color/weight/temperature/value to these new 'wood' definitions. Will they carry the values of their component metals?

--
Code updated, it should work now. Hope you find some use in it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:20:11 pm by daemoria »
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction problem -help plz-
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 03:27:41 pm »

Huh, it's a VERY bad thing to use the same name for different materials. Did you get any errors in errorlog file?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 03:32:29 pm »

As far as I know, no errors came up. Nothing is too out of whack either with my game.

I suppose throwing a *_WD on the end of the metal woods could help readability. I didn't think having the same names on the end of MATGLOSS_WOOD: and MATGLOSS_METAL: caused any problems, considering that they are completely different strings.

---
EDIT
Adding _WD so that the wood materials and reactions read
Code: [Select]
COPPER_WD
IRON_WD
STEEL_WD
does nothing.
Perhaps generating a new world is in order, but I could've sworn that the only things that need a regen is making completely new creatures and entity definition chages.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 03:55:35 pm by daemoria »
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 05:35:28 pm »

Completely new ANYTHING or completely removed anything.
Just as many people have stated easily a thousand times.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 06:14:13 pm »

Yea, sorry for not divining the sometimes obscure and often contradictory information in this forum perfectly the first time.
As I had understood it, the various reactions mentioned in threads stated that some people left blank spaces in their txt files, so that they could add and remove them as needed. None specified you needed to regen the world, in fact the inconvenience of the matter of re-genning would say that you didn't need to do so for such a small change.

In any case, people can use these sets of reactions to get wood in a non cheaty way. After regenning the region files that is.

Also my questions still stand. Is there any way to assign the value to a type of wood? Ditto for color and temperature damage points and so forth.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:40:01 pm by daemoria »
3 <≡Vertex≡>

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:45:45 pm »

Also my questions still stand. Is there any way to assign the value to a type of wood? Ditto for color and temperature damage points and so forth.

I am not sure, but I beleive that such is not implemented, but will be in the next release.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Plating - constructed wood -
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 05:11:42 pm »

that DENSITY tag you speak of sets its weight.  I'm pretty sure you need it.
Setting a tile and a biome, as well as [WET]/[DRY] is what makes it into a tree.

And as I said, regeneration is only needed for entirely new/removed ENTRIES.
Not TAGS or TOKENS.Well, as I understand, a lot of the entity tags requires new worlds too.
But that's besides the point. (as we're not talking about entities in this case)
Err, wait, I didn't say entries.
Crap.
But uh, when I said completely...

...Okay, let me clarify a little more on that.
I said completely added anything or completely removed anything.
The raw entries are looked at as a set.
Everything from [ENTRY:UNIQUENAME] down to but not including the next [ENTRY:UNIQUENAME] is one "item".
When I said that, I was talking of those, not of tokens, which I would just say "added or removed" not "completely added or completely removed"

Entry = n., ->One "item" as defined above.
Token = n.; Tag; ->A single bracketed item in an entry.

Seriously though, and this isn't anything against you, just to all members really: There's a search button for a reason.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 05:20:03 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 12:06:29 am »

Remember though, that changing a name will count as removing an entire object and adding an entire new one, for example:
[OBJECT:BOB] ---> [OBJECT:BILLY]
will count as completely removing object bob and adding a completely new object named billy, even if they are still the exact same object.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 12:09:02 am »

I really like this idea, and would like to, with your permission, create a Modbase version that would automatically find all metals in the mineral matgloss and then create these files, in the same way as the Dr. More-Oh mod takes all existant animals and makes ___-man versions of them.  Which is to say I'll be stealing your idea and his coding and then sing your praises for hours on end.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 04:52:25 am »

Go ahead, I support data theft!  ;D
I finally got 'Construct Iron Plating' to show up in my smelter, so all is good. You might want to throw some customization in the output levels, inobtanium for instance should either give a low amount (serves you right for making a über-metal into a silly type of wood) or a ridiculously high output.

Likewise for admantium in stock DF, since the metal is in the form of a wafer, perhaps just 1 plate? Eh, what ever you have time for.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:53:56 am by daemoria »
3 <≡Vertex≡>

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 05:29:23 am »

Yeah, I'm working on this and also a version of Exponent's mineral mod that would create quality-based versions of every metal.  The main problem I see right now is making the woodgloss additions reference mineralgloss, and making reactions reference those woodgloss additions.  There's also the alternative - make it a reaction that takes any metal and creates "metal plating", allowing for greater compatibility at the cost of some variety (and value differentation).

Now, with any luck Exponent's mineral mod will be slightly easier, but the reactions would still have to be hand-done or reference mineralgloss...  Man, I'm gonna have to shake the Modbase guy down for all his coding and see if that's even possible.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 08:53:05 am »

Copper wood: What police use, standard issue.
Iron wood: Requires some heat, some steam, and an ironing board.
Steel Wood: Illegal logging.

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 03:54:45 pm »

curse the puns, the bane of the universe. Nah, not really..those were actually pretty funny.

My reason for preforming necromancy on my own thread is because I finaly have a mature fort and managed to test out my own creation. I didn't fully understand how the whole 'name'/'adjective' worked before. Anyway, for those (if any) interested in making a modbase conversion for this, the correct naming code will be as follows;
Code: [Select]
[MATGLOSS_WOOD:***_WD]
[NAME:*** plated]
[ADJ:*** plate]
with the wild cards where the name of the metal is. I don't know the formatting for modbase entries, so you'll replace the asterix with what is actually used as a wildcard.
3 <≡Vertex≡>