Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Apparently DF is quite popular amoung Bulgarian architects.  (Read 3858 times)

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
Re: Apparently DF is quite popular amoung Bulgarian architects.
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 03:22:01 am »

Send them a copy of DF, along with a link to the getting started page on the wiki. They could use it as an accurate model of the fortress city. As for the freezing problem, just have a 1-tile-wide bridge leading to the entrance, and a barracks/food storage area covering the entrance, along with plenty of arrow slits.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 10:57:48 am »

Why do I need a pump to get it up?  :-[
I'm sure it's just a natural effect of aging, don't worry.

I lol'd.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 12:38:19 am »

I don't see what's so crazy about this location. It's much safer than building in mountains.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 01:16:34 am »

This isn't half dwarfy enough. What needs to happen next is flooring( roofing? ) over the city with glass flooring, below sea level. Then remove the dikes and enjoy your underwater aquarium.

That's right, designate the world as an aquarium. You can put tame turtles in it!

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 01:19:20 am »

As to the flooding and frozen lake invasion problem, the solution is absolutely Dwarven and made of win:
Drill down on all sides to the bowls of the earth to release magma flows.  On the surface there would be a resultant magma moat.  If anyone were to try and ride tidal floods over the magma flow, they would be steamed to death.  
mmmmmmm magma burning auto-steam trap~~~~

There is the ever so minor difficulties when dealing with drilling into the crust of the earth.  They have a lot more Z levels and guaranteed access to Magma, but it's a bit more difficult to acquire..

How so? I don't think they would even need pumps to get it up.

Magma doesn't rise by itself (when not in a pipe). Therefore you'd need an array of screwpumps.

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 09:32:30 am »

to do this in the game.......build your fortress with a giant retaining wll.....x amount of floors....and cap it.....then build a wall around the whol map....as far up as possible...blocking all exit points for water...then build a pump as high as you can and pull water/magma from wherever and flood the map....the outside retaining wall will hold the water in while your cities retaining wall will keep water out.........

you know what...im gonna build this right now.....now...to find a map with magma......and now to learn how to build pumps......i still dont know how those damd things were

--------------------------------

this is pretty cool for an old city........i was reading some of the comments for the city thing and some people are just plain stupid........they were talking about how hurricanes would be a problem for this thing.....since when do hurricanes hit lakes in bulgaria? other than the part of the black or dead sea(whichever that is....or is it the medditeranian?) the country is landlocked....and even with that sea on its coast.....there wouldnt be any hurricanes and such storms......its too far inland....

There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.
Pages: 1 [2]