Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using Collapses to Mine  (Read 1735 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Using Collapses to Mine
« on: November 04, 2008, 01:41:33 am »

Is there any way to do it?  Don't collapsing floors sometimes crash through Z-levels?  Because I'd really like to just collapse a ton of rock down a few floors.  Howsat for "exploratory mining"?!
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
Re: Using Collapses to Mine
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 01:55:23 am »

in my experiance, only non rock/metal natural floors (sand for instance) and constructed floors break that way.

i dotn have a lot of experiance this way but i know that i have never broken through natural rock
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 02:26:23 am »

in my experiance, only non rock/metal natural floors (sand for instance) and constructed floors break that way.

i dotn have a lot of experiance this way but i know that i have never broken through natural rock

it does, but it only breaks through a floor if the z-level below is already mined out. there is no difference if a wall is rough, smoothed, ore, constructed or whatever. a steel floor break easy as a soap one does, and a rough obsidian floor will also break. it just has to be mined out below
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 05:45:33 am »

More often than not, it just doesn't pay off. Using the ramp method should be quicker and safer, especially if you have good miners.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 06:26:43 am »

More often than not, it just doesn't pay off. Using the ramp method should be quicker and safer, especially if you have good miners.

You're an elf, aren't you? The more dangerous, noisy, and needlessly complex something is, the more dwarven it is.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 09:31:08 am »

Ramp method?  pfft. I use the scaffolding stair method.  I would collapse, but I prefer to engrave the 18z level high walls.  It gives berserk babies something to look at as they jump off the grand staircase.

Turnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 07:27:09 pm »

Baby cancels Berserk: admiring masterwork engraving
And (because of various programming quirks) dwarves are kinda stupid. Granted, so are the other races. But still.
And yet these stupid dwarves are going to eventually make a nuclear weapon out of cheese and basalt.