Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freezing to Death  (Read 719 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Freezing to Death
« on: November 02, 2008, 10:42:20 pm »

IIRC the wiki mentions something about dwarves freezing to death from being out in the cold.  How big a danger is that?  I just built some open-air plots, and was pleased to see how many of those crops are plantable year-round.  But I don't want my farmers losing fingers to frostbite.  Does freezing to death happen pretty fast, or does it hit only if they've been out there for a while?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing to Death
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 10:44:51 pm »

I've played on multiple glaciers and freezing mountains. I have never had anyone freeze to death.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:17:10 pm »

I've only ever had one dwarf freeze to death, and that wall on a custom design world with all the temperatures way down.

I don't think there is any significant danger of it in maps from a standard worldgen.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:09:20 am »

I've had a dwarf freeze to death. It was on a glacier, and he was about to be mauled by a polar bear, but he froze instead. It was about then that I got everyone indoors and started making weapons. And more clothes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 07:31:23 am »

For the most part clothes in Dwarf Fortress, probably temporary, are amazing insulators and only against near supernaturally cold temperatures do dwarves freeze with them. (of course without clothes they freeze to death in some relatively cold weather)

So with exception to Arctic places, and even then it takes a very fridged locale, your dwarves are going to be perfectly fine. The Thin layers of reed will save them as if it was a high-tech enviromental suit made out of flamable materials.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 09:28:01 am »

They're not that thin. Cold regions usually let you make coats and other much thicker (armorwise too!) clothing