Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hair, beards and what to feed purring maggots with  (Read 1614 times)

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hair, beards and what to feed purring maggots with
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:32:49 am »

Now that toady's implemented hair that grows and eventually must be discarded and stockpiled somewhere deep underground, why not put it to good use?

Now I'm sure you've always wondered what purring maggots were fed on, and now I have the obvious answer- dwarf hair.

And if you're not into the purring maggot business, you could always use it to make bags and cloth from. Dwarf hair is tough- the toughest kind of hair there is. It's also the itchiest. Conversely if you're making clothes you might want to use elf hair (harvested off the scalps of the dead), as that's much nicer to wear.

That's about it, though. Dwarf hair. What to do with it. Purring maggots etc.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hair, beards and what to feed purring maggots with
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 03:52:49 pm »

This is a +elf hair rug+. It is decorated with an image of a dwarf and a elf in elf leather. The dwarf is laughing. The elf is making a plaintive gesture.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:55:19 pm »

Now that toady's implemented hair that grows and eventually must be discarded and stockpiled somewhere deep underground

Wait, what?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:29:20 pm »

^^^

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 12:22:17 am »

If anyone's still wondering what he's talking about: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 12:34:23 am »

Now that toady's implemented hair that grows and eventually must be discarded and stockpiled somewhere deep underground

Wait, what?
So that is the secrect of adamantine...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 01:05:21 am »

I think it would make more sense to just have them feed on refuse - a category into which discarded hair falls. They are maggots, after all.
A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 01:22:05 am »

Hair could probably make good compost fuel, if/when Toady implements that.

More near-future haircutting will probably just not leave anything behind at all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 01:00:31 pm »

Now that toady's implemented hair that grows and eventually must be discarded and stockpiled somewhere deep underground, why not put it to good use?

Now I'm sure you've always wondered what purring maggots were fed on, and now I have the obvious answer- dwarf hair.

And if you're not into the purring maggot business, you could always use it to make bags and cloth from. Dwarf hair is tough- the toughest kind of hair there is. It's also the itchiest. Conversely if you're making clothes you might want to use elf hair (harvested off the scalps of the dead), as that's much nicer to wear.

That's about it, though. Dwarf hair. What to do with it. Purring maggots etc.
Great! Purring maggots could have been a parasite on hairy creatures, and later domesticated by dwarves when they started living in caves.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.