Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: building an awesome storage tower  (Read 1164 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
building an awesome storage tower
« on: October 31, 2008, 12:39:36 pm »

so yeah, i want to build a tower to store things in because digging downward only yields more and more stone and i don't want to resort to quantum dumping.

can i rely this wiki article to guide me?

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Tower

also, i heard somewhere that up/down staircases are dangerous, is that true?

also, can i use ramps instead of stairs?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:41:39 pm by chaoticjosh »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: building an awesome storage tower
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 12:45:44 pm »

Yes.  But building towers takes *forever*.  Megaconstructions are fun, but are not timesavers.

Up/down staircases are not dangerous, unless your dwarfs fall unconscious on them.  If your dwarves are falling unconscious, you have other problems.  I use up down staircases all the time.

Ramps are usable, but are even more annoying than using seperate up and down staircases.  I would avoid them unless you want to put your trade depot in the tower and need to get wagons there.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 02:49:36 pm »

Actually, with proper construction technique, large towers aren't that bad to make... You just need lots of available labor. Just create a large stockpile of stone right below the tower, and be careful with the oder you build things in.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 03:05:45 pm »

Well now that you can make large sections of floor and walls it's infinitely easier than the old days of single square constructions.  Heck, I plotted out a huge aqueduct system in about 5 minutes, where it would have taken 5 days before.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 03:09:49 pm »

I recommend you make all stones into blocks before using them in constructions.  It isn't strictly necessary, but it can be handy for inventory management, and it trains your masons.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 03:10:53 pm »

where it would have taken 5 days before.

That's not counting the therapy for carpal tunnel syndrome, of course.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »

Well now that you can make large sections of floor and walls it's infinitely easier than the old days of single square constructions.  Heck, I plotted out a huge aqueduct system in about 5 minutes, where it would have taken 5 days before.

Wait... you can?

Christ, all that work on that tower...
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 12:36:44 pm »

Wait... you can?

Christ, all that work on that tower...
Yeah, it's new, from like 2 versions ago.
I recommend you make all stones into blocks before using them in constructions.  It isn't strictly necessary, but it can be handy for inventory management, and it trains your masons.
Not only that, but I believe the walls are worth much more, perhaps an unsmoothed wall compared to a smoothed one.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 12:47:08 pm »

man, i have like 11 masons, but no legendaries. my only legendary mason succumbed to insanity when i couldn't procure some silk in time for his frickin' fey mood.

existing masons tied up in construction of (b)uild -> (C) -> (f)loor in order to make a wicked white road that passes through my mega-tunnel. so i'll wait until they're done with that.

so if i build my tower outta blocks instead of rocks, then my fort value will be significantly improved?

EDIT: one last question concerning the "inside" and "outside" things. my tower with a roof over it will be considered "inside" right? and so any dwarves inside of it won't rush out if i give the "all dwarves inside" command?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 07:56:43 pm by chaoticjosh »

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 04:52:59 pm »

The Inside / Outside things are dependant on Light, not actual Inside/Outside.

Since your tower is built, every tile on the inside will be "Light Inside". So... Yes, they will run.
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.