Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: currency and coins  (Read 1373 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
currency and coins
« on: October 21, 2008, 07:28:08 pm »

well my fortress has been running on credit so far....but ive been hoarding gold silver and copper to make coins. i want to know how to make coins without having it effect my fort until i have made all the coins i need.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: currency and coins
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:02:32 pm »

It wont affect it till you get a tax collector and those set of nobles
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:09:33 pm »

And if you have it so nobody can reach the coins, you can make as much as you want with no hassle.

Huh, sounds like an excuse for a vault.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:10:55 pm »

You dont need an excuse for a vault.... all fort should have them to put random yet semi-valuable stuff in.... its the dwarven hoarding gene
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »

i have all the nobels and well into the game where i need 20000 of each coin to keep up. i just want to know, if i lock a guy in a room with supplys to make these 60000 coins will the credit dissappear?

whats the benefit of coins (although i doubt there is any)

if i make coins out of say....bronze....will they be used or only gold copper and silver?

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 05:12:29 pm »

As of now, the Tax Collector doesn't get mad if his coin mandates aren't fulfilled. I fill them anyway because I like the extra challenge.

Gold, silver and copper as far as I know at this time. I think platinum used to be usable too. If you make them out of anything else, they wont have a quality modifier. So you can't make masterwork bronze coins and sell em for profit, they'll be basically useless, and you can't trade coins anyway.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 07:23:03 pm »

Coins only complicate things.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 06:12:02 am »

And if you have it so nobody can reach the coins, you can make as much as you want with no hassle.

Huh, sounds like an excuse for a vault.

This is only partially true.

Even if you lock the coins up, dwarves will claim them which will cause the stacks to be split. Since it is impossible for stacks to be recombined, eventually you will have thousands of extra objects for the game to track - most of which will be claimed by dwarves so you can't dump or melt them.

As for the effect of several thousand extra objects to track on your game, I don't know. I've had some success increasing by framerate by dumping thousands of excess stone but it was minor so I don't think it will clog things down too much.

It might be possible to forbid them to stop dwarves from claiming (and thus splitting the stacks) but I haven't tested it at all. It just seems easier to not build them in the first place if all you are going to do is lock them in a room then forbid them.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 07:11:16 pm »

Gold, silver and copper as far as I know at this time. I think platinum used to be usable too. If you make them out of anything else, they wont have a quality modifier. So you can't make masterwork bronze coins and sell em for profit, they'll be basically useless, and you can't trade coins anyway.

Mmm, electrum was also usable for coins back in the day. I keep thinking it would be awesome to allow coins to be made from billon, since that was its major use IRL, but I can never be bothered to actually mod it in myself, because keeping track of many different types of coins just seems like it'd be more hassle than it's worth.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 08:02:45 am »

Coins aren't that much bother anymore.
It gives your idle dwarves to do something besides partying.

Right now, my fort is up to 140 dwarves.
I used to need over 15000 of each coin.

But guess what:
Most of my dwarves are legendary by now, and they do not need coins anymore.
So my recommended number of coins has gone down to only 3400 of each.

So it seems accumulated wealth does not matter. ( I have tons of platinum crafts)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 03:16:09 pm »

Don't make coins

EDIT: ever
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:18:23 pm by Krash »
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.