Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entity interaction TAGs  (Read 891 times)

Gondana

• Bay Watcher
  • OMG!!!
    • View Profile
    • OMG!!!
Entity interaction TAGs
« on: October 30, 2008, 01:56:36 am »

It would be usefull to have tags that allow you to set the way one entity will react to the precence of another entity.

Eg if I wan'ted to make the Zorra and Lake-monsters go at eachovers throughts I could have;

On the Zorro [NEMISIS:LAKE-MONSTER]
And on the Lake-Monster [NEMISIS:ZORRO]

Or if I wan'ted two entitys to be simbiotic, such as the wolves and the wolf-peaple I could have;

On the Wolf [ALLIE:WOLFMAN]
and on the wolfmen [ALLIE:WOLF]
OMG!!!
Current project: Legend of Zelda mod.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Entity interaction TAGs
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 02:04:55 am »

Ally.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:07:03 am »

I've observed that most cave creatures will cohabit, but there are random deaths that leave me puzzled; the only conclusion I've come to is that they fight randomly.

A system like this would be good for, say, setting up hunter-prey relations with wildlife (once Toady fixes the bug that makes everything go extinct from hunting), or setting up more dynamic monster relations.

Other necessities, of course, would be some default designation tag, e.g. [HOSTILE_ALL] or [HOSTILE_NONE], which would then have exceptions; for example, a wolfman having [HOSTILE_ALL] and [ALLY_WOLF] would kill everything but wolves.

First things first, though, wildlife extinction needs to go before we can allow them to fight each other officially.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 04:56:31 am »

It would be usefull to have tags that allow you to set the way one entity will react to the precence of another entity.

Eg if I wan'ted to make the Zorra and Lake-monsters go at eachovers throughts I could have;

Or if I wan'ted two entitys to be simbiotic, such as the wolves and the wolf-peaple I could have;

(useful, presence, wanted, lake monsters at each others throats, nemesis, entities, symbiotic, wolf people)

Useful to implement that would be behaviour to put up mock fights, in which creatures don't fight to death. That way, there can be confrontations between opponents of similar strength without ending in a bloody corpse every time. Also useful for bar brawls, mating competitions, territorial defense, etc.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 07:11:08 am »

Good idea. This would be a very neat feature in adventure + fortress mode also. Different entities could live together peacefully this way. I like it.  :)

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 10:47:20 am »

I think this is the kind of thing DF would do in an emergent way, rather than hard-coding/raws.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 11:56:53 am »

(useful, presence, wanted, lake monsters at each others throats, nemesis, entities, symbiotic, wolf people)

Useful to implement that would be behaviour to put up mock fights, in which creatures don't fight to death. That way, there can be confrontations between opponents of similar strength without ending in a bloody corpse every time. Also useful for bar brawls, mating competitions, territorial defense, etc.

Male Mountain goats ramming their heads together? Sounds awesome!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 12:57:59 pm »

I've been thinking that a useful tag would be something like [FRIENDLY_TOWARD:ENTITY:#], where a low number would indicate enmity, and a high number would indicate friendliness.  This wouldn't completely overrule ethical conflicts and agreements, but would make the entities in question more or less tolerant of them.  Optimally, it would also take over from the current enmity between snatchers and non-snatchers in Fortress Mode.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.