Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Colapsing things.  (Read 660 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Colapsing things.
« on: July 11, 2008, 12:28:29 am »

Is there another way to collapse an area save for channeling around it? because my stream is so far away from my fortress a moat is out of the question but an empty pit works just as well so my idea was this. dig an area surrounding my fortress and the when goblins attack collapse it, preferably when goblins are present than after the siege bridge it over and have my own moat that doesn't freeze during winter. i don't have to do the collapsing ground thing but i want to and that involves creating a collapse without channels. help anybody?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colapsing things.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:49:21 am »

you need to dig the channels, but you can hold the ground up with a support.  then rig the support to a lever, and it will all collapse at the pull of the lever.

its a one-shot trap, though.  you cant make it collapse twice unless you have more rock above and you dig new channels and build another support.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:53:04 am »

no I want to make it collapse without spoiling the effect of putting channels on ground level. is this possible?

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:12:42 am »

Ah! I see. You want to be able to collapse a section of ground as if it just suddenly fell from beneath the invader's feet! They'd be running across your trap without even realizing it, when suddenly, BOOM, they're all five levels deeper in a pile of smoke and rubble.

Well, the problem is this: all z-levels in the game are basically divided into two parts, which are both capable of supporting infinite amounts of weight on a single tile's worth of material: a 'floor' section and a 'wall' section. Each single 1x1x1 square in DWAAARF FORTRESS is comprised of one of each of these parts, a floor section on which dwarves can walk with a wall section on top that prevents movement and creates a single floor section on the tile above it. Whenever a single one of these sections (or more, of course) is connected to any size clump of floors or walls suspended in midair, and any 'anchored' square (a tile somehow linked to the edges of the current map,) it will hold up those suspended tiles. So, you can end up with crazy stuff like this:

(Side view)
Code: [Select]
# = wall
_ = floor

#######
 ####  #
 ####  #
 ####  #
       #
_______#____

The answer to your question, basically, is no. To collapse, a section must be 100% removed from the landscape. HOWEVER, by using 'supports' (walls that can be destroyed remotely by a lever,) you might actually be able to create a sort of a 'seam' around the area you'd like to collapse that could be walked across and detonated on command. Still, I'm not sure. I haven't used supports at all myself.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:49:25 am »

use ramp.
They don't support anything. et al

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 09:38:44 am »

Alternatively, cover all your channels around the ground that is to be collapsed with grates.  They will let the beasties walk across, but when you destroy the support via lever, the grates won't hold the ground up.

Code: [Select]
# = grate over open space
% = ordinary floor/ground
+ = floor/ground over open space
O = floor/ground with support underneath

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%###################%
%#+++++++++++++++++#%
%#++++++++O++++++++#%
%#+++++++++++++++++#%
%###################%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 10:13:28 am »

or you could just make the whole thing a retracting bridge instead.  then you could reuse it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 10:25:45 pm »

good idea

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »

Cover up the channels with bridges; they won't support terrain. I don't think ramps can be used in this situation.