Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The Pyrotechnics Suggestions Thread  (Read 5117 times)

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
Re: The Pyrotechnics Suggestions Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2008, 10:47:25 pm »

The musket falls beyond the cutoff date of 1400.
1232: The Chinese who invented gunpowder (black powder) first used it in a weapon - gunpowder filled tubes aka rockets.
1364: First recorded use of a firearm - shooter lit wicks by hand that ingnited gunpowder that was loaded into the gun barrel.
1400s: Matchlock guns - first mechanically firing of guns. Wicks were now attached to a clamp that sprang into gunpowder that was placed in a "flash pan".
From http://inventors.about.com/od/militaryhistoryinventions/a/firearms_2.htm

Flintlock muskets didn't show up until the 1600's.

Looking at the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortar_(weapon)#History) makes it seem that mortars would fall beyond the cutoff date, too. Although, cannon were used as early as 1132 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_cannon).
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2008, 04:35:43 am »

True. However, the option to choose the starting level of technology would be a logical extension to Toady One's plans to offer some more worldgen customisation options, and there's no reason we can't push the cut-off forward a couple of hundred years at the same time; I don't know if enough people want the option to justify him making going to the effort, but I reckon taking a fortress into the Age of Steam could be rather fun. That however is a topic for another thread.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2008, 02:42:57 pm »

True. However, the option to choose the starting level of technology would be a logical extension to Toady One's plans to offer some more worldgen customisation options, and there's no reason we can't push the cut-off forward a couple of hundred years at the same time; I don't know if enough people want the option to justify him making going to the effort, but I reckon taking a fortress into the Age of Steam could be rather fun. That however is a topic for another thread.

Have ore usefulness depend on tech too - Aluminum's value goes way down once it's discovered how to make it from Bauxite.

We could also take away some of the currently available tech - say, have a bronze age (no iron) or iron age (steel is much harder to make) tech level (each of these along with other metals that you can't make or have a different dynamic

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2008, 08:19:45 pm »

Holy craptasm I've been hurting without my DF forum lunacy. Been without a computer for some time, gonna edit this post after a-reading everything after my last post.

Wow, okay, this is easier than I thought and this edit should take like two seconds. This is a fire-related thread, be it prevention or explosion or general burnyness. Guns are not in here. At all. Period.

Since as some kind poster said everyone and their retarded dog (new favorite phrase) suggested explosives, I think if you all want I'll form a similar style guns-thread. Though uh, I will be sticking to the cutoff date. And I -really- don't think having what's basically a KillSat in DF will work out. At all. Period. The mortar being able to hit anything on a medium sized map? Don't think that'll fly in anyone's book. It's all peer review in here, since I've yet to see toady (and I don't know who's a mod and who's an admin in this wonderful madhouse) the general yea or nae of the populace rules. Along with common sense. Occasionally.

Who wants a gun discussion/suggestions compendium thread?!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:25:01 pm by StrayCat »
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]