Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A whole lotta questions...  (Read 2511 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A whole lotta questions...
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 10:43:44 pm »

1. Charcoal and coke have a base value of 10 per bar, so it's more valuable than making walls from stone or wood, but only like 2 or 3 times.  It's also used for steel, but I'm sure you know that and don't have any flux.  If you wanted to build stuff with it, knock yourself out since walls can't burn.

i dont think so. i belive there is at least 1 type of stone that catches fire so if you were to make walls and building out of it youd be in trouble because one spark could fry your entire fort
Yes, there are PLENTY of stones in reality that will burn or explode.  All constructed walls in DF are completely indestructible.
Workshops, I'm not so sure about.

i saw on the wiki about a stone that catches fire. it would spread along the walls and buildings and if they didnt dissappear then wouldnt they stay like that?

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 02:12:21 am »

About the goblins: do you happen to have any floating goblins on your map?  Don't bother checking the unit list, they won't show up there.

I savescummed, abandoned and got "CONQUERED: Your strength has been broken"

Which means, yes, I have a goblin on the map somewhere. Since there's quite a lot of activity on the tundra and forest, I doubt it can be a full ambush party hiding out for 5 years, which means it's some invisible(?), intangible, untouchable goblin leftover from the previous ambushes.

Which basically means the save is bugged and I have to start a new fortress. This time with the autosave enabled.

GOD DAMN IT.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 03:22:57 am »

1. Charcoal and coke have a base value of 10 per bar, so it's more valuable than making walls from stone or wood, but only like 2 or 3 times.  It's also used for steel, but I'm sure you know that and don't have any flux.  If you wanted to build stuff with it, knock yourself out since walls can't burn.

i dont think so. i belive there is at least 1 type of stone that catches fire so if you were to make walls and building out of it youd be in trouble because one spark could fry your entire fort
Yes, there are PLENTY of stones in reality that will burn or explode.  All constructed walls in DF are completely indestructible.
Workshops, I'm not so sure about.

i saw on the wiki about a stone that catches fire. it would spread along the walls and buildings and if they didnt dissappear then wouldnt they stay like that?

I don't think lignite constructed walls will actually catch on fire, but buildings will I think as the building material is still defined as a stone in the building's inventory.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 02:37:06 pm »

About the goblins: do you happen to have any floating goblins on your map?  Don't bother checking the unit list, they won't show up there.

I savescummed, abandoned and got "CONQUERED: Your strength has been broken"

Which means, yes, I have a goblin on the map somewhere. Since there's quite a lot of activity on the tundra and forest, I doubt it can be a full ambush party hiding out for 5 years, which means it's some invisible(?), intangible, untouchable goblin leftover from the previous ambushes.

Which basically means the save is bugged and I have to start a new fortress. This time with the autosave enabled.

GOD DAMN IT.

I had a similar experience, but my goblin wasn't invisible.  Nice method of detecting that a goblin was present, by the way.  Anyway, I managed to fix my problem via memory hacking with Dwarf Companion as documented below -- your mileage may vary, but it's worth a try. 

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25838.msg300972#msg300972
Pages: 1 2 [3]