Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Export & Import of Objects  (Read 542 times)

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Export & Import of Objects
« on: October 22, 2008, 08:45:18 pm »

I have been contemplating how nifty things from each generation of worlds, fortresses, and versions of the game tend to be lost.  Boatmurdered?  Left to the 2D old times.  Urist and Stozen?  Merely characters to read about, but never to be met.  So I was thinking, maybe a form of exporting and importing specific items, creatures, books, and so on would be useful.  For example, if books were implemented and allowed players to edit them as they willed, it would be unfortunate if we couldn't copy and share the contents with other players to use in their respective worlds - the possible manuals on farming, defenses, monsters, and philosophies could become literary foundations of our worlds.

Granted, I don't think it would be possible to copy and paste fortresses anytime soon, let alone the full histories of objects and people - but it is possible to lay down the foundation for it, by at first just copying basic statistics, names, and kill counts, then expanding upon the export/import feature as time goes by.  Simply put, it could open up the possibility of 'Packs' that people could put together and share.